Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Allielover   Snakesitter   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Allielover
View Profile

Rough green snake VS smooth green snake?

Why do so many more people in the U.S. have roughs and very few that have smooths? They seem like very similar snakes other than roughs being larger and keeled scales VS oval scales. I haven’t heard of smooths being sold in Canada, and I haven’t found any roughs being sold within a few hours drive of me, why are they not more common?
Please answer if you know or have any thoughts.

Sorry if this does not belong here.

08/11/14  01:45am

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2308445

Great question, Allie. I’ll be interested to see what the experts say!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

08/11/14  02:12pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2308462

it could be that rough green snakes get larger, not too many people want a tiny snake. also smooth green snakes are not as common in the US as rough green snakes. smooths are more found in Canada but can be found in Wyoming, New Mexico, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado, Texas, and northern Mexico.
where as roughs are found all over the south, up north quite a bit, and as far west as Texas.
i dont know too many that own them, infact i have never heard of anyone owning them except a few online. but they are neat little snakes.
so the roughs are probably more common because they have a larger range of habitat. and they are not that common probably because they are insectivores and they just haven’t hit the pet trade yet.

08/11/14  07:02pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2308470

Kelso their neat to watch but can be flighty mine is nothing like my other snakes..he bites me every chance he get but it doesn’t hurt and its hard to find him in his cage because I read that they camoflagoue so I had to put a lot of green in his cage and he likes repticarpet for some reason lol I think because its green...they make great display snakes and good for people that don’t want something big and don’t like rodents. And your right the smooth ones aren’t common here in the US.

08/11/14  09:24pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area