Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

IguanaRama   Cphill58   IguanaRama   Cphill58   IguanaRama   Cphill58   IguanaRama  

Member  Message

IguanaRama
View Profile

Got a King snake and some questions

Hey there I just got a King snake yesterday from a guy who said he got the snake do to how severely underweight he was and he’s more interesting in his redtails then smaller snakes and when I got the snake yesterday he was pretty docile and the guy said the snake is friendly and such but when I went to get the snake out of the cage today he did the tail shake at me and musked ugh! He didn’t even musk yesterday either... Is it because he needs a adjustment period with being in a new enclosure and new smells and sounds or maybe I’m going about it the wrong way I pet his sides a little to let him know it was me and not feed time or trying to hurt him but he didn’t seem to appreciate it much either way then he crawled out of his hide and onto my hand but he still musked me... I’m used to pythons this is my first king so any advice would be nice.

This is him, I say him now but I’m not 100% on what gender he is.

I also have a milk snake that’s my boyfriends last month at a reptile expo and go figure she musks as well but she’s still little so I guess it’s to be expected and i read they grow out of it?

This is her, we named her crimson she’s been eating like a champ and is having her first shed since we’ve had her right now been soaking a lot

Just maybe bad luck that I get two snakes that like to musk or maybe I’m doing something wrong?

05/15/12  03:57pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2266505

WOOOT ...congrats on the nice snakes..!

They are both in the king snake family (constrictors) and yes they will musk when they are feeling threatened. However they do get used to you rather quickly and settle down with handling.

You aren’t doing anything wrong...some just do it more than others.
That nice California king snake , the big one, is not too shabby looking and I can say for sure it is not under weight.

I have 3 kings of which I am very fond of...they all get a little tail shake going on every now and again, sometimes the smallest will huff and strike with a closed mouth, just to say leave me alone.

Of course that just ends up the opposite and I handle him until they calm down or get to explore a bit.

SWEET !!!

05/16/12  12:16am

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2266563

The guy said the Cali king was a lavender mix king snake either way I absolutely love him I’m letting him settle in right now and letting him get used to things before I go and try and hold him they guy I got him from said he was underweight but I wasn’t all too sure as I’ve only owned pythons in the past. I also love the hondoran’s colors she was sold as a normal but her colors make me thing other wise but it could just be me! Now I’m not sure if the Cali is male or not is there any other way to tell that doesn’t require me to get him probed? Also he’s pooped two separate times since yesterday is that normal the guy said he only fed him a normal sized mouse a couple days ago?

05/16/12  12:36am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2266565

Just back from a road trip....pooping often can be normal. Edel says our Butter Corn just pooped like 4x ..or farting??/ lol...can’t find anything to clean up.

I would have to see more shots of the profile view of the tail and lots of different angles to determine sex. Better yet just bring em over ...

Probing is the 1 FOR SURE way to make sure , that or breeding.

05/18/12  01:57am

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2266736

This is the only one I have of the vent area I’m leaning towards a male? I saw some sexing pictures and his tail doesn’t thin out as soon as most female pictures I’ve seen but I guess even then it could still turn out to be female I’ll have to take him to be probed eventually in the end.

He’s being more active and coming out of his hide his previous owner didn’t have any hides or anything to burrow in so he seems to be appreciating being able to go in his hide or sit on top of it to bask.. He still tail shakes at me and musks but never strikes once I’ve pet him and let his run through my hand for 5mins he settles down and is a complete doll

Little crimmy finally shed today after days of long soaks and she’s beautiful! Going to try and handle her more often now that she isn’t shedding and miserable.

05/18/12  06:53pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2266801

Correct me if I am wrong...but due to the male hemipenes that fill out the tail , it is the female that has the severe drop off and also shorter length of tail.

I have quite a few males myself...but I have not tried to breed the kings , so I really don’t know for sure...it’s scary ...if they start to bite and constrict I could have some damage control to manage. Kings will eat other snakes and another king is no exception.

They are both large 5 foot snakes and well fed , but I hesitate.

05/18/12  08:21pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2266813

You are correct males tails stay thicker further down the tail unlike females whos tails get smaller sooner. Which makes me thing he’s a male as his tail is pretty thick after his vent. I don’t want to breed these two if I did it wouldn’t be for a long time anyways. I’m still a bit nervous being he’s still a new snake and sometimes you just really don’t know their mood mines only 3feet and the other is 1 1/2ish but I won’t doubt there’s power behind king even not being full grown.

05/18/12  10:53pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area