Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*Snakes-General Forum

Snake head   Pickleweasle   Snake head   Snake head   NICKNAME   Herpteen15   JackAsp   Snake head   Chris78   JackAsp   Chris78   JackAsp   NICKNAME   Snake head  
 Member  Message

Snake head
View Profile

ATB wont eat... PLEASE read for details!

My ATB wonít eat. His temp. in the day is around 84-87 and night time drop is around 72-76. Humidity is about 82%-87% and constantly stays high (mister). He wouldnít take thawed pinkies, fuzzies, popped pinkies, live fuzzies and pinkies, tuna scented, hamster scented, fish scented, and leopard gecko scented. I grabbed him a brown anole and he wont eat it! I feel hopeless and Iím starting to think that the breeder told me that it was CB even though it might be WC. Hes now in a 65 gallon mesh tank though humidity stays high, its about 3.5 feet tall, by 3.5 feet wide, and 2.5 feet long. He has a HUGE jagged rock water bowl where the mister and fountain stays. I also have a colored water light in the water for color effect and water plants for realistic enviorment. I have so many plants its not even funny, Hanging plants, bendable vine, and wood crosses his substrate is tile with soil and some peat moss. Heís been fasting for about a month, shows no signs of weight loss though. Iím thinking of other food sources such as frogs and baby birds. Even fish Iíll try, as long as he eats. I donít know if it was change of an enclosure, though his enclosure now is probably better than most on the forum (not in a bad way). Iíve became s0o0o0o attatched to this snake that I would do anything for hm to eat because if he died, I donít know if Iíll ever want another ATB that turned from a monster into something so sweet because I think mines the most amazing one, and the only one that I could ever imagine owning or even have the privilege to work with such a beautiful animal at the age Iím at. I know how lucky I am to own this snake and after experience with other animals I was confident I can get him to eat. I need some serious help! He shows no abnormal behavior though. Please help and thanks so much in advance!

Nick

03/11/07  11:31pm

Pickleweasle
View Profile

Message To: Snake head   In reference to Message Id: 1206085

First off I find it hard to believe that the humidity is 87%, since your enclosure is mesh. How large is your ATB, a 60 gallon may be to big if he is still a juvenile. Also if you suspect your snake to be WC I would take him into the vets to see if he has parasites. How long have you had him? Depending on the size of the cage, and how noisy the room is, he may take awhile to settle in before he will eat. For now place him in the quietest room of the house, and put an artificial nest in his cage. Before you shut the lights off, place a f/t, or live pinkie in the nest. By morning they should be eaten. Good luck!

03/12/07  12:07am

Snake head
View Profile

Message To: Pickleweasle   In reference to Message Id: 1206113

Thanks a lot. The humidity is at 87%, and I know its hard to believe though it fogs at the bottom mostly, rises a little to the top and the mist spreads outside the mesh. Heís about 2 1/2 feet long and Iíve had him since November 26Th. I shut the lights off and tried them on though he didnít take interest. Iím gonna try the nest and if that doesnít work then it looks like aa trip to the vet!
Thanks a lot!
Nick

P.S. My room is actually the quietest room in the house because I only go in there to work with the reptiles or sleep.

03/12/07  03:23pm

Snake head
View Profile

Message To: Pickleweasle   In reference to Message Id: 1206113

Thanks a lot. The humidity is at 87%, and I know its hard to believe though it fogs at the bottom mostly, rises a little to the top and the mist spreads outside the mesh. Heís about 2 1/2 feet long and Iíve had him since November 26Th. I shut the lights off and tried them on though he didnít take interest. Iím gonna try the nest and if that doesnít work then it looks like aa trip to the vet!
Thanks a lot!
Nick

P.S. My room is actually the quietest room in the house because I only go in there to work with the reptiles or sleep.

03/12/07  03:25pm

NICKNAME
View Profile

Message To: Snake head   In reference to Message Id: 1206646

now see how easy it would be for me to bash you about getting a snake , and no having the experience
or capacity to take care of it?
we all need a little help and incouragement without being trashed
we all sometimes get a snake and even though we`ve read it all on them still can`t figure them out
you are 11 , and i`m not going to argue with you anymore
i hope your snake gets better , even though we argued on the other forum .
i was told by the way , that sometimes it`s not good to give them too much moisture even thoug they are from a damp region , they could be prone to respitory infections
peace little man

03/13/07  11:00pm

Herpteen15
View Profile

Message To: NICKNAME   In reference to Message Id: 1208430

if i were you i would put him in something A LOT smaller then a 60 gallon, mine is over four foot and still kinda small cause thats how ATBs are, i bet you would have strong feeding results if you changed his cage but kept the temps and humidity the same, my four foot atb is in a cage about two foot long, one foot wide, and two foot high and he will eat anything i put in front of him. i think ur amazon is just stressed with all that room and only two and a half feet. not trying to be mean or anything though.

03/13/07  11:21pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Herpteen15   In reference to Message Id: 1208465

What kind of setup was he in when he was eating?

03/14/07  01:11am

Snake head
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1208572

Thanks a lot everyone. I have a 30 gallon Iím gonna switch him to. I made a realistic enviorment for him to eat in with fake brush, mister, and a heat lamp and pad and he wouldnít take it. I threw my black shirt over the tank for feeding and put it in a closet, wouldnít take it. I also tried inside his tank, wouldnít take it. I might try those snake sausages...

Nick

03/17/07  09:40am

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Snake head   In reference to Message Id: 1212054

If he didnít eat a rat, what makes you think heíll take a sausage?

Common sense would indicate that the problem is with your setup, I would suggest putting him in something a lot smaller and more secure.

03/17/07  10:48am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1212108

Remember, moving him around wonít necessarily get results right away. A snake thatís of their feed doesnít just look around and say "Hey, this cage is better. Iíll eat now." Itís a more gradual thing. They relax without even thinking about food, then after a while they notice theyíre hungry. Offering food as soon as you make the environmental change doesnít make them hungry. More likely, itíll just bother them, which reduces appetite. Lowering their stress level and giving them a week or so to get hungry on their own makes them hungry. Itís hard to do when youíre worried, but sometimes you just pretty much have to.

03/17/07  02:55pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1212317

I think it goes without saying that I didnít mean move him to a new enclosure and try feeding him immediately.

03/17/07  03:28pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1212357

I know you didnít. But I also know how Snake head feels. Somtimes itís hard to just back off and let the snake find its reset button, even though itís necessary, so I emphasized an obvious fact that quite a few of us have made the mistake of disregarding at one time or another when we were worried.

03/18/07  02:23am

NICKNAME
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1212868

my atb is in a 10 gallon and he eats with no problem at all , he`s not agressive. i agree they`re cool snakes
my bullsnake went through the same thing , and jackasp gave me alot of good advice . it turned out the bullsnake had parasites (took him to the vet )
he`s doing a bit better and has eaten once now
keep the fingers crossed . good luck with it ,
let us know how he does

03/19/07  07:23pm

Snake head
View Profile

Message To: NICKNAME   In reference to Message Id: 1214749

Thanks.Iím glad yours is doing well to. sorry about going all ape $h!+ on you, itís just that their no easy matter and we see people daily with snakes at work and they donít know anything about the snake.
Nick

03/19/07  09:52pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area