Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*Snakes-General Forum

Rae rae   Snakebite4   I have cobras   XP   XP   I have cobras   XP   Derek Z.   Alyssa21   XP   I have cobras   XP   Rockingsnakeking   I have cobras   XP   Chris78   XP   I have cobras   XP   Skullkeeper   Rockingsnakeking  
 Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Which snake??

is there a snake that can be kept in a 10gal its whole life? just wanted to know cuz i will be moving my gecko out of it a while from now and iíve never had a snake.

01/02/07  02:52am

Snakebite4
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 1115860

Which snake??

i dont think any snake can live in a 10 its whole life

01/02/07  03:50am

I have cobras
View Profile

Which snake??

I will try and be gentle on you since you have never had a snake before but here it goes. Why would you want to keep a snake in a 10 gallon aquarium all of itís life ? With a screen top they donít hold heat or humidity well and depending on what kind of snake you get it may need to hold a good amount of humidity. Higher humidity helps with shedding also. You could get a piece of Plexiglas and have it cut to fit on top of the inner lip of the plastic on the top and drill some holes in it but then you are limited to heating options but it would hold humidity really well. Another small problem with that might be air circulation in the cage all though I have done the same thing and didnít have a problem except the humidity got too high in the cage. If you want to keep a snake in a 10 gallon for that long because of the cost of getting a new cage for it I wouldnít even get a snake. There are plenty of cage companies out there though that make some nice cages for a good price and there are some that donít make the nicest cages but they are functional. Animal Plastics is one of the best cage companies I have found on the internet and you could find them doing a google search. Their cages look nice, they are good quality cages with many options you can get added to them and the cages do everything you want them to for keeping your animals happy and in the type of environment a caged snake should be in. Their customer service is excellent also.

01/02/07  04:58am

XP
View Profile

Message To: I have cobras   In reference to Message Id: 1115891

Which snake??

donít listen to thoughs guys a pueblan milksnake could scarlet milksnake mexican milk some people think bigger tank the better thats not true

01/02/07  03:19pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1116332

Which snake??

but the perfect size of tank for a milk is a 20 long but u could leave that snake in a ten for a year or two

01/02/07  03:20pm

I have cobras
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1116332

Which snake??

XP - What the he!! are you talking about " donít listen to THOSE guys ". I donít know about you but I have been keeping reptiles for 19 years and know a little bit of what I am talking about. Yeah he could probably keep some kind of snake in a 10 gallon aquarium for its entire life but it isnít even practical considering a 10 gallon doesnít have much floor space. Then depending on what cage decorations he may want to add, hides and a water bowl it doesnít leave much space for a snake to move around or stretch out if it wants to. Most of the time my snakes are laying in a ball but they do like to stretch out also. You then contradict yourself by telling him to go with a 20 gallon and didnít even answer his question. You said he may be able to keep them in a 10 gallon for a year or two, that isnít a snakes entire life.

01/02/07  06:56pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: I have cobras   In reference to Message Id: 1116635

Which snake??

Quote:

but the perfect size of tank for a milk is a 20 long

did you not read it i said the prfect oh by the way my uncle has 50 years of experience in snakes

01/02/07  07:05pm

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1116648

Which snake??

A male Kenyan sand boa can fit in a 10 gallon snake and that is the only snake I would get if I were you since you were starting. Deffinetely dont get a scarlet kingsnake there to fragile. I would say a 20 gallon for pretty much any milk snake but pueblans do not get very big. What I would say the best thing to do is get a Ball Python or Corn snake and they can live in there for about a year and then get about a 30 gallon tank. Good luck in deciding and trust me I started with Leos when I was little, snakes are much better!
Derek Z.

01/02/07  09:27pm

Alyssa21
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 1116873

Which snake??

LOL the drama llama has come to RepticZone FTW!

01/02/07  09:31pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 1116873

Which snake??

thats true derek snakes are sweat

these are my milks a imperial pueblan milk and a albino nelsons milksnake but the nelsons will need a a 20 long

01/02/07  09:33pm

I have cobras
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1116648

Which snake??

" is there a snake that can be kept in a 10gal its whole life? "

XP - I read it and once again you contradict yourself and didnít really answer his question except for telling him not to listen to people who have more experience then YOU. Just because your uncle has 50 years of experience doesnít mean he cages his snakes properly either and gives them the room they need or might like to have, and depending on how you set up a 10 gallon there is no need to crowd a snake in a small aquarium that doesnít have much floor space. If he already has a 10 gallon and doesnít want to get anything else to house his snake in that is telling me he quite possibly doesnít want to spend any money on it to give it a better life. And once again a 10 gallon unless it is modified in some way or you feel like having towels hanging over it doesnít hold heat or humidity well, they donít even hold it well with a towel over it. By the way, I know of someone else who posts videos on youtube who says he has 30+ years of experience with snakes and thinks other people with less experience arenít as capable as him but in one of his videos on youtube he is almost tagged by one of his red spitting cobras while he almost trips over a rubbermaid container in his cluttered work space. So much for experience.

01/02/07  11:56pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: I have cobras   In reference to Message Id: 1117092

Which snake??

you dont understand but the perfect part do you that means you could those snakes in that 10 gal for whole life but a 20 long is better

01/03/07  07:16am

Rockingsnakeking
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1117308

Which snake??

Already mentioned is a male Kenyan sand boa, another would be like a ringneck, or maybe a ribbon snake/Garter snake. I would not recommend a ringneck for beginners though, and ribbon snakes/Garters tend to stay pretty wild. Your best bet would be the sand boa. Just do some research and you will be fine.

And snakes donít exactly like to romp and play. Most of the time they will be hiding in a hide box, so a little less space really wonít hurt them, Especially if you get them out every now and then to let them stretch.
Good luck with what you choose.

01/03/07  04:42pm

I have cobras
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1117308

Which snake??

Yeah I understand XP, that is why I have a perfectly healthy collection of snakes that donít refuse to eat and donít bite or strike at anybody, I keep my snakes happy and house them properly. I know people with far more experience with reptiles then I have that have not been able to keep a Rhino Viper alive in captivity for more then 2 years and couldnít get them to feed and I have never had that problem. Obviously you donít understand that there is better ways all around then an aquarium to house a snake that would benefit it a lot more. Of course you canít even form a proper sentence so I am done with this thread because I can barely understand what you are saying.

01/03/07  07:15pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: I have cobras   In reference to Message Id: 1118107

Which snake??

i tired when the grammer protrols smarts off

01/03/07  07:38pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: XP   In reference to Message Id: 1118140

Which snake??

Quote:

i tired when the grammer protrols smarts off

Bare with me, but what I think he meant to say..

Quote:

I become tired when the grammar patrol speaks disrespectfully to me.

Regardless, I have Cobras has been in the snake game longer than you have been alive, I have a feeling he knows what he is talking about. I would suggest that this guy saves up a little extra money every month and really get a good cage and a cbb animal. With this extra money you could afford to give your pet a great life in a nice roomy enclosure with plenty of hides.

01/03/07  10:10pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1118434

Which snake??

ok i understans sry for ealier cobras

01/03/07  10:15pm

I have cobras
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1118434

Which snake??

Thank you Chris, I am glad someone agrees on the same point I was trying to get across. There are some snakes that could probably spend their entire lives in a 10 or even a 20 gallon but there are so many better options out there. I personally would prefer a rubbermaid with a heat pad and some holes in the lid for air over an aquarium just because they are a lot tougher to break. They hold humidity and heat a lot better then a aquarium but are not an attractive cage. I just got the feeling from the original post he either doesnít have much money to get another cage or might possibly be too lazy to go out and get something other then he already has. If either of these are the case then maybe he shouldnít have a snake at all because of a lack of money or possible laziness that will possibly effect this animal because of possible neglect. I am not trying to say the person who started this thread is like this in any way but that is the way it could be looked at. He hasnít come back to the thread and clarified his reasons for wanting to house a snake in a 10 gallon for itís entire lifespan. I will say it once again though and I stand strong on this and that is when we as keepers of ANY animal decide to take on the responsibility of an animal it is our job to give them the best we can when it comes to their care and what they require.

01/03/07  11:13pm

XP
View Profile

Message To: I have cobras   In reference to Message Id: 1118509

Which snake??

oh ok i understand sry for earlier

01/04/07  07:17am

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Which snake??

Of coarse there is , a rubber one .LOL . Sorry , I had to say that , just kidding , not trying to start anything .

01/04/07  01:29pm

Rockingsnakeking
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1119086

Which snake??

I think what the guy that started the thread is saying is, that he has a 10 gallon that will be available in a little while, and he is trying to fill it, instead of just putting it in the closet or throwing it away. In other words He is saying "I have a spare 10 gallon. Might as well put it to use."

01/04/07  01:55pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area