*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lexxx   SCERR   Lexxx  

Member  Message

Lexxx
View Profile

Uromastyx help!!!

Hi guys! I’m new to this website but a few months ago I bought a uromastyx. for the first month or so he was doing great! One day I realized he wasn’t really using his back legs well. His upper body works great still but for some reason his back legs have stopped working completely. I did bring him to the vet and they took an x-ray. I mentioned MBD but she told me the x-rays showed no sign that his bones were deteriorating. She said he just didn’t have any feeling down there and seemed perfectly healthy. She gave me anti inflammatories for him but said there was nothing she could do. He still eats perfectly fine everyday and comes out a ton like he used to before this incident. I would just like to try and figure out what could possibly be causing this!? I was thinking possibly impaction but I don’t understand why it wouldn’t have ever come across the vets mind.

For tank set up...
I have my little guy in a 40 gallon. His basking spot is approximately at 120 and the cooler side gets down to about 80. I feed him veggies (mainly lettuce or kale) and give calcium/D3 supplements. He has his basking lamp as well as uvb and uva bulbs. I have taken out anything he could have possibly climbed on since he can’t properly use his back legs. For substrate I am currently sticking with newspaper.

Hopefully someone can help me find an answer as to why my little guy is currently a paraplegic 😢😢 thanks!

11/10/17  10:21pm

SCERR
View Profile

Message To: Lexxx   In reference to Message Id: 2321514

Uromastyx help!!!

Sounds like impaction could’ve caused this, I’ve seen it before. Try giving him a warm bath and massaging his stomach area, pumpkin is also a good laxative. How often does he poop?
There is a possibility he could’ve gotten injured. Has he fallen from any height recently? Could someone else have handled him and dropped him or stepped on him or something?

11/11/17  01:48pm

Lexxx
View Profile

Message To: SCERR   In reference to Message Id: 2321516

Uromastyx help!!!

Ok I’ll make sure to try that in the morning! Thanks! And he poops fairly often. Lately not as much as normal. Also, now whenever he poops it seems to be getting stuck to his area down there. When he does go he seems to be straining himself as well so that’s also why I thought it could be impaction. When I first got him I had a ramp type of thing so he could get close to the basking lamp. Maybe he fell from there? But I’ve never seen him fall. I made sure to take all climbing items out of his home so he can’t further injure himself. I’m the only one that handles him with the occasion of my friends when they come over but I’m always there watching so nobody has dropped him. I’ll make sure to try the bath and some laxatives! Hopefully it helps!

11/11/17  07:49pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area