*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DizzyLizzy3   Icearstorm   DizzyLizzy3   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

DizzyLizzy3
View Profile

Pet- five lined skink hibernation ?

I caught a juvenile five lined skink in Northern Ga in mid may this year, but we now live in northern IN. Skink was/is doing great until this past week... he (or she) has not come out of its burrow (I have the bottom of the cage filled with clean soil- he loves it!) for about 5-7 days now. Nothing has changed as far as care.... do they hibernate regardless of the cage temp? How long will he hibernate, if that’s what he is going! I know he is still alive bc we have a glass table that he is on so I can see through the cage and the skink is in a different position everytime I check. This is the first reptile Ive owned so everything is pretty new to me. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

10/04/16  06:33am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: DizzyLizzy3   In reference to Message Id: 2319568

I doubt that is hibernation; I kept several broad-headed skinks (almost identical to five-lines) for almost a year, and they would normally hide for 5 days or so (and sometimes up to 2 weeks) after a large meal. If you want to see your skink above ground more, try feeding it small portions more frequently or it will only come up to bask and gorge itself before hiding for another several days. I also found that providing more plants and shelter makes the skinks more comfortable staying above ground, though mine tended to spend 80% of their time basking and otherwise being lazy...

10/06/16  05:36pm

DizzyLizzy3
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319581

Thanks! He has since emerged, looking larger and quite smug... I then found part of a shedded tail so I also think he was getting rid of his itchy, too small skin.

10/07/16  09:23am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: DizzyLizzy3   In reference to Message Id: 2319584

You’re welcome! I never saw much evidence of shedding in my skinks, so I suppose it makes sense that they were doing so underground, as well... Sneaky little lizards :)

10/10/16  05:15pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area