Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spadez   Srkm   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Spadez
View Profile

Baby Fence lizard hardly responding need help!

Hi, so I found a very friendly young western fence lizard from work and took it home. I gave it a 5 gallon tank with lots of bedding so it had plenty to hide under, I gave it a shallow water dish and small helpings of flightless fruit flys (which it loved by the way) I keep its tank next to my snakes cage where the heat pad is attached so it can get a decent amount of heat from the other tank, for the first few days it was really active, like when I tried to pick it up it would run around the tank, a few days went by and I gave it to my sister for her birthday and she kept it in her room, after a day or 2 I decided to check on it and it wasn’t moving I was absolutely sure that it was dead, but to my suprise it wasn’t. She swears that she fed it so I’m guessing that it was the cold that got to it. I have since moved it back to my room and he’s been here for 4 days next to the heat pad and hasnt gotten much better. It won’t eat, it will barely move, like I have no trouble picking it up the only way I know it’s alive is it ajusts itself when it is moved to my other hand. And just today he is having these random spasms where it wiggles back and forth for almost 2 seconds. Please help I don’t know what to do. And sorry for the essay I thought I should put as much detail as I could

07/27/16  12:19am

Srkm
View Profile

Message To: Spadez   In reference to Message Id: 2319169

I think that the cold definitely got him. Do you know what your sister fed him and how frequently? Was he in sunlight? Make sure you provide him a reptile heat lamp ASAP and feed him every other day if not every day. That problem usually result from either lack of UVA/UVB radiation and/or lack of food. From what you said it sounds like he got plenty of food, so what probably happened is a lack of UVA/UVB radiation. It can be difficult for reptiles to recover from that advanced stage of deprivation, so get a lamp on him as soon as possible!

Hope this helped!

08/07/16  10:45am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Spadez   In reference to Message Id: 2319169

Try handfeeding it some Lactated Ringer’s Solution, Pedialyte, Gatorade, or some other similar liquid by holding a drop of water up to its snout. This should help stabilize its electrolytes in case it is mineral or vitamin deficient, as well as supplying it with easily digestible sugar. Spasms sound like moderate to severe calcium, salt, or magnesium deficiency (most likely calcium; in this case it may be the start of metabolic bone disease, which can lead to very weak bones, tooth loss, and possibly death). Keep the lizard in full spectrum light so it can obtain vitamin D, a major contributor to calcium uptake. If you have not been doing so, dust the lizard’s food in calcium powder on most feedings and with a reptile multivitamin powder once or twice a week. Make sure none of these supplements have phosphorus, as this is abundant in insects and can interfere with calcium if out of proportion. Cramp may be to blame, as cold can kill internal bacteria that help with the absorption of vitamins and minerals. In this case administering specific probiotics could help, though I’m not sure how you would go around doing this, aside from feeding fermented foods, yogurt, or another lizard’s poop; however, none of these options seem very good due to risk of poisoning, allergic reactions, and parasite or pathological bacteria transmission.

08/07/16  07:20pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area