*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

PuppyLizard   PuppyLizard   PuppyLizard  

Member  Message

PuppyLizard
View Profile

New Cage Trauma? Advice?

Looking for advice or reassurance. I’ve had my baby Savannah, AKA the PuppyLizard, since buying him as a small hatchling May 21. I set him up in his baby cage with soil, humidity, etc. He ate voraciously and was growing an inch a week. Last week I moved him/her into the big lizard cage. PupLiz is now 11.5 inches. Here are yesterday’s stats: Enclosed open air space is 5’6" x 3’ x 18" with a sealed top. Over two feet of soil/sand mix below (1300 lbs.). Hardy plants, leaves, lots of hides, large water dish. Hot end temp is 112 degrees air/ground with humidity at 34%. Basking site is 130+. Cool end is 88 degrees air/ground with humidity at 92%. PL built a burrow, currently about 13 inches deep. Humidity in burrow is 99%. Temp in the burrow is 82. Here’s the issue. While in the baby tank he burrowed in the warm end and ate like a wild thing. In the new enclosure, he chose the cooler end and his appetite has reduced dramatically. When I go to feed him, I’ll click and call to him and he will hiss deep in the burrow, and then come out, tongue flicking and looking hungry. He will eat maybe one cricket, one worm, one little pinkie, and retreat to the burrow. Whereas before, he would eat 10 or more crickets, a couple of worms or pinkies and still be asking for more. Today he ate a cricket and then a big night crawler, but immediately regurgitated the night crawler and retreated to his burrow. I’m hoping this is simply an adjustment phase--as it has only been 8 days since the move-- and that he will also create a burrow in the warmer end of the enclosure. What do ya’ll think? Should I change anything or simply give him more time?

07/04/16  09:59am

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Message To: PuppyLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319017

New Cage Trauma? Advice?

For clarification, the lizard question above is about a young Savannah Monitor. I posted here as I’ve not gotten much response in the Monitor Forum.

Thanks! Carla

07/04/16  10:03am

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Message To: PuppyLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319019

New Cage Trauma? Advice?

Although I never got a reply to this query, for anyone who might be reading it and interested in the outcome, here is what happened. All my baby sav needed was a little time. It is now acclimated to the new enclosure, no longer hissing when I approach and is responding to my enticements to come out of the burrow. His/her appetite has returned and all is well!

07/10/16  09:02am

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area