*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Takahiro111   Icearstorm   Takahiro111   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Takahiro111
View Profile

Reptile decision

I have plenty of room now that 2 of my iguanas and their cages were adopted, so now I’m looking for another nice reptile any ideas?

02/18/16  04:45pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317119

Reptile decision

I would recommend broad-headed skinks, green anoles, or glass/legless lizards.

Broad-heads are great (can be kept in 30+ gallon terrarium, are very hardy, and eat about anything that smells like meat), minus the fact that they have a rather nasty temperament. Once they become comfortable with people, they will spend much of their time above ground, though they still require a burrowable substrate. They can be housed in groups of 1 adult and several juveniles in the off-season as long as provided with adequate food, but keeping singularly may be better. They are generally not available on the pet trade and may be illegal to catch depending on the state/country. Here’s a link to the more extensive care sheet:
http://icearstorm.deviantart.com/art/Care-and-Keeping-of-the-Broad-headed-Skink-562127605

Green anoles are more of a beginner’s pet, and aren’t all that impressive, but are quite easy to take care of. Though females and juveniles tend to be more flighty, males are quite easy to tame and may even come to enjoy handling (a male that I currently have will eat crickets right out of my hand and let me pet it). There are plenty of great care sheets out there; but I’ve got to say, this one is among the best:
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/2211.html

Glass lizards are quite large and tame. They eat a multitude of prey, from grubs to green anoles. They may spend quite a bit of time hiding, though. A 20+ gallon terrarium is recommended.

I currently have a juvenile black racer, and despite their supposively shy and/or aggressive temperament, mine is quite tame (stopped striking at me within the week). It eats brown anoles and has so far shed twice in two months. If all juveniles act as this one has, captive bred specimens (as well as those caught when young) may do great as pets. That being said, they aren’t as hardy as some other smooth-scaled reptiles (i.e. broad-headed skinks) when it comes to high humidity. However, as long as the substrate is nice and dry, the snake will likely do well. I have heard recommendations of between housing black racers in 10- several hundred gallon terrariums, though one at least 2/3 the length of the snake should be fine.

From what I hear, corn snakes, bearded dragons, and leopard geckos are wonderful pet reptiles and are generally widely available in the pet trade, but as I have no experience with them, I suppose I have no right to suggest them XD

Hope this helps!

02/21/16  03:01pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317151

Reptile decision

Thanks for the suggestions :) but I was thinking about a large reptile

02/21/16  04:08pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317152

Reptile decision

Hmm... I don’t know. I hear there are some nice monitors out there; more advanced care (and more food), but they are supposed to be quite intelligent (I think?)

02/28/16  06:04pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area