*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Butterfly Lady   Takahiro111   Butterfly Lady   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Butterfly Lady
View Profile

Feeding my MHD’s

Hey everyone! Happy Thanksgiving to those members throughout the States. My girl MHD has been "off" her food for about a week now. She does not seem sick or with eggs. It’s not a shedding issue, and I’ve had her out on my chest, as she prefers human company, and she seems to be fine health wise. I bought some tiny horn worms today, finally some small ones were available, and what I was wondering....can I leave these worms to roam the sticks in the cage, or do they like to chew on lizards too?? If they are successful in eating them, I have found a great web site that will ship me little ones or even eggs and all the gut load for them to me. I’ve read they are very nutritious and aid in skin coloring, appetite and calcium. I stopped meals worms for all my lizards, worried about impacting them from the scales. Any advice???

11/26/15  03:17pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Butterfly Lady   In reference to Message Id: 2315899

Feeding my MHD’s

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Hornworms are good for lizards and mine seem to love them I’m just scared of them. While people at the petstore told me they don’t bite your lizard that’s absolutely a lie I’ve seen it myself but I would let it roam the cage unsupervised... If the lizard is done eating and is full remove them other than that let her chase,hunt and eat them. Keep them long enough and they turn into big moths(first seeing this and I was scared). Any feeder like rodents,lizards,insects will feed off your reptile especially if their hungry.

11/26/15  10:21pm

Butterfly Lady
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315905

Feeding my MHD’s

Thank you for the advice! I held one in my hand trying to get Sasha to eat it. It was pretty creepy, and their mandibles look like they could hurt a lizard . My male MHD ate them all!! I put the worms in a food dish they couldn’t escape, and wham.....they were all gone. I rarely see any worms small enough so I’ve gotten a hold of a company that will ship me eggs and all the supplies to raise them, as I think it would be beneficial to all my lizards (I have two hand raised Anoles juveniles) The pet stores won’t bring me in small ones, which drives me crazy! If you sell the lizards, then you must help that pet owner with proper sized food, right? My guys love a varied diet of crickets and wax worms, I cut out the meal worms, too scaly and I am concerned about impacting. Adding the horned worms would give a little more variety and nutrition.

11/28/15  07:51am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Butterfly Lady   In reference to Message Id: 2315924

Feeding my MHD’s

Just realized a mistake I meant to say don’t let them roam unsupervised. To help the petstores with the right size food idk but some won’t take it. It drives me crazy too when the petstore doesn’t have the appropriate size food. I called like 15 different petstores to look for small rats and only found one which is extra far.

11/28/15  11:25am

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area