*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sinchobe   Cphill58   Sinchobe   Sinchobe   Cphill58   Cphill58   Sinchobe  

Member  Message

Sinchobe
View Profile

Uromastyx, Crested Gecko/Gargoyle

Hi everyone, newbie here. I’m looking into getting one of the above, I’ve done research and I just can’t decide, I plan on doing more research and I’m not planning on just impulse buying one right away. I’m basically hoping to decide on one so I can prepare towards it.

Here are a few things that influence my decision.

My main desire was for a Uromastyx, after researching however, I’m not sure if that is the right decision or not. I know that all together it will cost more, that isn’t an issue. One problem I have is that I’m not so sure if I want a lizard that can be handled a bit or not, it sounds very appealing and I know Uros are usually not ones for handling. It is a slight put off but not a deal breaker as I don’t know if handling will be something that I necessarily need once I own one.

My main concern is the heating/lighting. I live in an apartment where the enclosure would be placed in either the living room or my bedroom, the problem is that I have to parrots, a budgie and a conure, I don’t trust them not to fly on top of the enclosure out of curiousity at some point and potentially harm themselves by touching one of the heating lamps or lights. (They peck at their own FS lights when on top of their cage as they like their reflection in shiny things, but their FS lamps don’t emit much heat and aren’t on for very long) This is the main thing putting me off of a Uro, unless someone can think of a suggestion to prevent my fears, such as a certain type of fixture or setup where the lamps wouldn’t be exposed. Then I’d be all ears!

Crested/gargoyle geckos are definitely appealing as well, a little small but is definitely nice that they require much less heating and minimum lighting (less lamps basically) I like that they can be handled gently in moderation and it’s cool that they climb and whatnot. Their diet is also more manageable for me. The misting part isn’t a big deal to me either.

Any suggestions, whether it be with my issues or in general as to which one you prefer and why? I still would really like the Uro, but I’m not sure if I should. Very much appreciated, thanks in advance!!

07/24/15  10:30am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sinchobe   In reference to Message Id: 2314305

I own bearded dragons and Iguanas and blue tongue skinks and have always wanted a Crested or 2 or 3.
They are simple to care for (major plus) they are easy to feed and the food is readily available just about everywhere.

Now the bonus is they are capable of being very tame and you can handle them ...many friends that I know have them and adore them. They come in fascinating patterns and colors and if you shop till you drop you will find some great deals out there.

I baby sat some Uros for a few weeks it was fun. But they can be difficult for a novice.

If you are willing to make a commitment for life 18-25 years a Black and white Tegu that grows to about 4 feet and can be very tame like a lap dog might interest you. However I don’t know how they will get on with the birds as they grow older. The Tegu needs heat and lighting as well ... but can be handled like your puppy.

An Iguana is vegetarian...would look splendid with your birds and get along just fine... and many tame adults are out there free as people have decided to move or lost interest. These require special lighting as well to emulate the sun UVB and tropical heat 80-100 F + humidity. My iguana free roams in the front room ... is paper trained...goes outside to sun and eat wild weeds and flowers. And all the neighbor adults and kids see her in the large picture window daily. She quite the novelty.

Over all any species except the crested is going to require advanced lighting knowledge and information on where to get the products and best prices>.... I have that info and will gladly share it if you need it or decide to do some reading just to increase your knowledge base.

07/25/15  10:10am

Sinchobe
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314317

Thank you very much. Unfortunately I don’t think an Iguana would be the best decision for my apartment, same with the tegu even though both are really cool.

The vision enclosures and one like this from Animal Plastics
Link

I like these as they have the lamps/sockets enclosed so that my birds couldn’t really mess with them, any other enclosures like these out there with the lamps or sockets built in. Also I know they say for uros a minimum of 40 gallon breeder tank. But just to gauge about how large of one should I really get for it to be comfortable, would the one in the link above suffice?

Probably leaning more towards a crested or a gargoyle, still dreaming of a uro though, maybe I just don’t have the space though.

07/25/15  11:06am

Sinchobe
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314317

Also I have no problem making that kind of commitment, my birds will easily last 20 years, some of the larger parrot species live up to 80 years in captivity!

07/25/15  11:08am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sinchobe   In reference to Message Id: 2314321

I don’t think 18" tall is enough. I built a 2x2x4 box with sliding acrylic doors and installed my own ceramic "keyless" socket and installed a dimmer switch and a 120 v receptacle ... when my friends called to ask me to babysit the enclosure was ready and with the lamps extending down approx 5-6" they broadcast the heat and light very nicely.

Now at 18" and some rough math - 6 " the light will be approx 12" from the surface. hmmm.... yes... should be OK
I just went over and measured my Blue tongue skink enclosure...it is 16" tall and the heat emitter hangs to within 6" of the rocks... 90 F on a dimmer to reduce max temps .....so yeah 18" will work

Want a nice heating device...check these out
heat emitter
I purchase 4 at one time ...they used to be 19.99 a few years back... they are excellent and easy on your fingers too.
They will heat my BTS rocks up over 100-105 F at the above mentioned distances.

And by the way I order my UVB lamps from him as well... By far the best UVB lamp on the market and longer lasting too
Euros will do well with a 60 - 70 watt UVB Mega Ray lamp at your close distance...they are self ballasted ( all internal) and simply screw in to your socket. call or e mail Bob mac for direct response pertaining to which exact lamp is best for you.

Also Look up REPTILE UV on Facebook... like the page

07/25/15  11:59am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314323

The Birds...love them... I realize they will out live me at this point...LOL I had a small red headed conure and at that time my GF had a wonderful yellow naped amazon.. I wish I could do an amazon or African gray now ... but we rescued a kitten ...LOL

This house is FULL

07/25/15  12:01pm

Sinchobe
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314324

Thanks again for the info. And yeah I know what you mean.

Once we move into some type of house I was thinking of another bird possibly. Don’t know if I’d get something big or not, I really like Indian Ringnecks though

07/25/15  12:06pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area