Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AvatarAnne   Jinete   AvatarAnne   AvatarAnne   AvatarAnne   Cphill58   Jinete   Jinete  

Member  Message

View Profile

Western Fence Lizard Questions.

I have multiple questions and I don’t know anyone in person with this type of animal (western fence).
1. When I pet them there bellies get flatter. Why?

2. After 4-6 days of having them I noticed a yellowish tint on there bellies. Why?

3. One of my fence lizard has emerald spots on the back that brighten up when I accidently scare it. Is that what its meant for?

4. 2 days ago I HAD to clean the cage and put them in a separate box, I used food to trick them into the box. That’s because I haven’t tamed them. Should I have done that? Because well now they act as if its been the first time they notice me and their scared again. They use to come toward me (but even now and then I still cant pick them up)

5. My lizard bit me 3 times now when feeding should I were gloves what if they don’t recognize my hand?

6. Im going on a trip tomorrow and I have to take the lizard with me. Do I trap them in a box (which will make them scared all over again!)or leave them in the cage but take out the stuff that could fall?

Info
2 lizards. One male. One female. I cant figure out age. I either feed them two mealworms of 3 crickets or some combination. Had them for 2 weeks. Hot temp. 95 Cold temp.85 (usually) mist the cage décor once or twice and there is a water bowl. Have uv, heating, and night heating lights.

06/28/15  07:06pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: AvatarAnne   In reference to Message Id: 2314076

How big is your enclosure? I would only keep 1 lizard in a 15 gallon tank (minimum). Eventually the male and female can fight. It’s best to keep them separate. There’s no need to mist the cage. That’s not necessary. Also, no need to have a night light.

I find it best to primarily leave them alone. They are probably pretty stressed at this point and need to get used to their new surroundings. Not sure why their bellies get flatter when you pet them. They probably don’t want to be petted and are just trying to avoid it. 2 & 3 usually happen when either they are scared, need more heat, less heat, etc. My guy changes colors depending on the season, temperature, etc.

What substrate are you using? You should be able to spot clean every day or 2 and do a complete clean about every 6 months. Fence lizards will generally tolerate people after a while but never really become tamed.

You mentioned going on a trip. Why do you have to take them with you?

06/29/15  11:12pm

View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2314089

Thank You so much for the help! Btw I’m thinking of getting a 20 gallon for them instead of my 10 gallon tank. My substrate is a type of carpet since I heard they can swallow sand and dirt which is harmful.. I have to take them with me since it’s only for 3 days and I don’t know anyone who can take care of it. So I took them with me to the mountains. They weren’t to stressed out and our doing fine and the vacation house we our staying in. I’m also thinking of feeding them with a dish and then when they our comfortable ill move up to feeding them with tweezers. And hopefully then with my hand. Also, I’m still confuse about the yellowish tint on the bellies and paws could you describe it better? Thanks again for putting so much effort and replying!

07/01/15  11:34am

View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2314089

I have a ten gallon tank but I’m thinking of upgrading to a twenty. Also my substrate is carpet like since I heard sand is harmful... btw I have to take them on a trip because it’s only for three days and I don’t know anyone else to take care of it at this moment.im on that trip right now and they were very calm the whole way there and right this moment. Also can you explain the tint of yellow a bit more it’s on one of my lizards and it’s on his paws and bellie. Thank you so much for replying !

07/01/15  12:53pm

View Profile

Message To: AvatarAnne   In reference to Message Id: 2314114

Oops I thought it didn’t send so I made another message. Sry !

07/01/15  01:38pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: AvatarAnne   In reference to Message Id: 2314115

Western fence lizards have these colors naturally we call them blue bellies ...a common nick name.

Males will be very colorful especially as they mature to mating age... they are beautiful. The gold on the limbs and the blue on the belly is stunning. Look up the lizard on google ... they are very colorful and popular int the east as well. Called Eastern Fence lizards.

They like to eat ear wigs too... so dont be afraid to scrounge around under some old wood in the back yard for some.

babies

Momma and Papa

took me a few weeks hand feeding them but they trust me now.

07/04/15  06:53pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314155

A good substrate for them is 1/2 eco earth and 1/2 repti bark. This will allow him to bury himself each night which they will do regularly. A 15-20 gallon enclosure will work just fine.

07/06/15  07:05pm

Jinete
View Profile

Message To: Jinete   In reference to Message Id: 2314166

Also, they can easily go 3 days without eating. That’s why I asked. Mine has gone over a week with no problem. As long as temps are good they will be fine. Make sure you have heat lamp and UVB.

07/06/15  07:07pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area