*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Aprul   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Aprul
View Profile

Is my lizard happy?

So I have a male curly tail lizard. I have him in a 20 gallon long tank with one end having a basking lamp over some logs along with a infared lamp that keeps that end of the tank at around 90-100° (itkeeps my room warm). The other end is cool and has his water bowl. He also has a long uvb light and a heat pad under the middle of the tank (a lot of people stressed a temperature gradient so I achieved that as best I could). He has vita sand and the only reason I have that is because he is a burrowing lizard and buries himself completely every single night to go to sleep. I figured it would be more stressful to not give him that security so I went with the safest sand I could find. He has various plants and lots of logs and hides to climb on.

Anyway, when placing him in his home after cleaning and moving him from his old 10 gallon to the new 20 gallon tank, he checked out his surroundings, ate the crickets I offered him, then puffed up real real big and made sure all his loose skin was stretched out. Then he immediately deflated and went to his favorite basking spot under his red light.

What I’m wondering is, was that a sign that he approved of his new home? He seems very active, running around and head bobbing when I talk to him. He is a very adorable and happy go lucky lizard, I want what’s best for him. What do you guys think?

04/16/15  09:17pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Aprul   In reference to Message Id: 2313217

Is my lizard happy?

well first off get rid of the vita sand!!!!!!! as much as you think it is safe it is not, it when went acts like clay and binds together and well when that happens in the stomach and intestines it can cause impaction and lead to death. all of the petstore brand sands are horrible vita sand, repti sand, ext
the best substrate would be washed play sand which can be bought from home depot or lowes cheap.

other then that everything else sounds about right actually sounds perfect aside from the vita sand.
lizards don’t really have a way of "telling " you their happy, but they show it through stress, when they are un happy they stress out which usually leads to lack of eating/appetite and sluggish behavior.
but from he sounds he is eating and moving around so it sounds like he is happy.
the head bobbing is a territorial threat display lol hes telling you to stay away when he does that. but yes it does sound like he is happy and just get rid of the vita sand and the care will be perfect.

04/18/15  06:51pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2313259

Is my lizard happy?

Hey kelso your back

04/18/15  07:49pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2313261

Is my lizard happy?

yeah ive been busy with work, and preparing to leave for boot camp in june.

04/18/15  08:42pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2313269

Is my lizard happy?

Good luck in bootcamp :) im planning to take my test early may so i can go to basic training early.

04/19/15  07:28pm

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area