Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Lizards-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rsanm27   Kelso reptiles   Rsanm27   Old rex   Lizards and more   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli  

Member  Message

Rsanm27
View Profile

Looking into getting a Cuban Knight anole

I wanted to get one but i have a long 20 gal aquarium and i just wanted to get a juvenile and i would set it up so that there are a lot of branches and everything. Once he gets older i would move it to a bigger tank but i just wanted to know if the tank i had was okay until he matured and also i wanted to know if they are easily tamed or they are not worth trying in my searched it seemed very mixed

01/19/12  07:03pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Rsanm27   In reference to Message Id: 2251751

yeah that should last a while
ive heard that cubans are very hard to tame but not all lizards are holdable lizards some are just ahs and ohh

01/19/12  07:30pm

Rsanm27
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2251758

Ok, thanks i have been doing alot of research trying to find a lizard that likes to be handled and would be able to be in 20 gal tank and would like a tropical environment

01/19/12  07:48pm

Old rex
View Profile

Message To: Rsanm27   In reference to Message Id: 2251762

I believe you could keep two in a tank that size. But you have to mist them everyday

01/19/12  09:01pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: Old rex   In reference to Message Id: 2251770

you definitely can not keep two in a 20 gal plus i think they prefer to live alone
umm im not sure of a tropical lizard that likes being held that can fit in a 20 gal

01/19/12  09:54pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2251778

Crested or Gargoyle gecko. One can fix in a minimum of 20 gallons and they live in a semi-tropical environment. They are also herbivorous and can be fed on a solid ’crested gecko diet’ mush sold at pet stores and online, supplemented with the rare cricket on the side (though not necessary). Can also tolerate handling for very short periods of time. And they’re all captive bred.

Only downside is that a crestie cannot live in temps above 82F. They’d overheat and die. And they will also overheat if temps stay at a constant 82. So... Lower temps for this gecko species. Oh, that and they do not regrow tails, so if it drops it’s gone for good.

Most lizards out there will not tolerate handling. These are, after all, reptiles and not mammals. Getting a Cuban knight anole with the intent of handling it will end up with pain and a stressed out lizard.

01/19/12  11:49pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2251785

Oh, that and African Fat-tailed geckos. They can live in a 20 minimum (preferably larger later on), are terrestrial so would appreciate a 20 long better, and are also semi-tropical. Can also be handled. Unlike leopard geckos (which need an arid tank with low humidity), an AFT can be kept on a dirt or mulch substrate.

Research is one’s friend. Read multiple care sheets!

01/20/12  12:19am

Back to *Lizards-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area