Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared   Xkabx   Getscared  
 Member  Message

Getscared
View Profile

Taxidermy?

Anyone else interested in taxidermy on this site?
I know many people find it morbid but please do not judge.

I was hoping to find some others that are interested in the hobby and i am also interested in finding things to practice on. Id hesitate to make a post titled ’I buy dead animals’ lol but you get the idea. I think maybe there would be breeders who would be open to letting there stillborns go and the like. (definately not into killing solely for the purpose of taxidermy!! everything i use is bought second hand or roadkill or feeder animals)

Unfortunatley my newest snake died recently (i believe it to be due to the stress of moving from one house to the other) and i think i may try to preserve him. I fancy the idea of preserving all of my snakes when they pass and i wonder if thats something others would be interested in as well?

10/12/11  05:14pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2240192

Taxidermy?

i saw on tv there is a beetle that will eat everything except the bones, that is what id like to do keep the skeleton i think id be an awwesome display piece

10/12/11  06:17pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2240204

Taxidermy?

That would be really cool especially for a snake. You can buy those beetles online too. I don’t think it would be too expensive. I might try it one day

10/13/11  02:47pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2240321

Taxidermy?

i guess you get a bunch of them and throw them and the deceased in a tub not sure but prolly witha uth.
i think a snake skeleton would be awesome, but lots of work, to do it right they drill each bone and cut wires to fit, takes forever but end result would be cool. i dont know if id be able to do it to my own snake even if they died naturally be like playin with your dead friends body

10/13/11  03:53pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2240327

Taxidermy?

Yep thats pretty much how it works. They do all the work

there are several other ways of defleshing though that dont require the beetles (althought the beetles are probably the best way because they dont harm the bones)
you can boil the flesh off but this can soften small bones if you arent careful
you can also just put them in a bag with all the entrails and everything and let the flesh rot off.
pretty smelly and only good if you live in the country or something.

yeah if you are really close to the animal it might be difficult. I love my snakes but i dont get sensitive to their bodies when they die. Now a dog or a cat i couldnt skin if it were mine but my reps are just different somehow (not that i love them less or consider them less of a life form or anything)

I have my baby rtb in the freezer and im going to see if i can mount him. being so small it might be hard though

10/14/11  03:53pm

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area