Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

Foolishfather   Troy boy   Suzuki4life   Gravel1   DRW85  
 Member  Message

Foolishfather
View Profile

What is the best way to heat your tanks if your pets are nocturnal

Hi everyone
I am new to owning reptiles and got into it because I was given a bearded dragon from a friend. I now have a sand boa, house gecko, white’s tree frog and the bearded dragon. I am in the process of aquiring a corn snake. For the most part I understand the need for UVB lighting on all of the pets even though some say the snakes do not need it... some also say the frog does not need it as well. If anyone has input to that please offer advise. My big question is... What to heat the tank with if your pet is nocturnal. I have UTH for the snakes and no other lighting... providing heat grade... lots of hides and climbing. the bearded dragon gets a repti glo 8.0 and a 50 watt basking bulb. the frog gets a repti glo 10.0 (only because it was the dragons but I got the 8.0in a flourecent tube ...better for his tank) for now but I will get a repti glo 2.0 for him. I also have a 50 watt bulb for the frog for heat but because he is nocturnal maybe I need a red one (does it matter). I would like to put in a UTH but am affraid it will cause the tank to crack with the humidity and water under the substrate. The house gecko is new today and also needs humidity levels and he is also nocturnal. I know he needs UVB during the day should he have red light as well to cut down the brightness. What about a UTH, again the humidity and water may cause a crack in the tank. Can live plants be used with the house gecko (if the substrate is eco earth or is something else needed... how to keep the humidity up).
Please offer me advise to these questions. If I am doing something wrong I need to correct it A.S.A.P.
Thank you
Mike

08/15/09  01:16pm

Troy boy
View Profile

Message To: Foolishfather   In reference to Message Id: 2057531

the best way to heat a nocturnal reptile is a heat pad

08/15/09  01:38pm

Suzuki4life
View Profile

Message To: Troy boy   In reference to Message Id: 2057544

if you need heat and humidity but not an excessively hot heat source...then yes belly heat is the answer.

08/15/09  07:11pm

Gravel1
View Profile

Message To: Suzuki4life   In reference to Message Id: 2057795

Not If your species is arboreal then a Ceramic Heat Emiter is a good one

08/18/09  01:14pm

DRW85
View Profile

Message To: Gravel1   In reference to Message Id: 2059567

I know that some reptiles can’t see the color red so the red heat lamps are also a good idea

08/22/09  09:10pm

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area