Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

MikeIsEvil   DuckMonster   AvandisFifth   Joe smoe111   DuckMonster   JackAsp   MikeIsEvil   Mama42   DragonPaw   Leira  
 Member  Message

MikeIsEvil
View Profile

Your thoughts on Aliens/Life on other planets.

So! Any of you guys believe there is life on other planets? I dont mean bug eyed aliens flying around in UFO’s wanting to cut us open and look at our insides. Just another planet in our, or someother, galaxy that supports life like Earth.

I personally believe Earth isnt the only planet in space to sustain life. For all we know there could be a planet BILLIONS of lightyears away with different types of creatures or what that planet considers "people" doing the same thing we are right now. I remember in my science class back in high school my teacher mentioned that scientists may have found a planet very far away that is similar to Earth, could it be that there is life on it? Who knows, but for all we know evolution is taking place on it right now. :P

I believe there are other planets out there with either advanced or none-advanced life on it. Just thinking about it is very interesting to me. What are your guys’ thoughts? :D

Mike,

01/26/09  03:55am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: MikeIsEvil   In reference to Message Id: 1939932

Hey Mike, Yeah, I do remember you.

Life on other planets? You bet. Why not? Statistically speaking, the odds are with it. I mean, after all, why would such a large universe, with millions of gallaxies and all of their stars and planets have been created just to have life on one little dust speck of a planet?

01/26/09  09:10am

AvandisFifth
View Profile

Message To: MikeIsEvil   In reference to Message Id: 1939932

I believe there is. And remember, a planet doesn’t have to be like earth to support life, life adapts. So there could be alot more out there, even if most of it is just bacteria. I’m sure there is intelligent life out there somewhere.... Here’s a quote my grandpa uses when my grandma goes on about how god made humans and humans live on earth so there isnt anything else out there: "If god is so smart, doy uot hink he would have had only one planet with life? Or would he at least make a few backups in case Earth failed?"

01/26/09  11:39am

Joe smoe111
View Profile

Message To: AvandisFifth   In reference to Message Id: 1940068

judging by where earth is going if god really is all seeing then there is at least one other planet out there.

01/26/09  11:45am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Joe smoe111   In reference to Message Id: 1940079

If fewer people would ask whether or not God is there, but instaed, believe and live per the 10 Commandments, we would be in much better shape.

01/26/09  08:54pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1940390

I believe in extraterrestrail life, but to be honest I’m no longer as convincd as I used to be that there’s any real LOGIC in my believing in it. Or, in NOT believing in it. logically, I should be an agnostic oin the subject, but in reality, I actually do believe. But I have enough of an idea of how little I know about the question to realize that’s an emotional choice rather than a mental one.

I’ve seen the probablities drawn up, but they had to guess SO MUCH to draw those probabilities, that, really, we have no idea. Maybe the odds are way, way, higher, and the universe is full of not only carbon-based oxygen-breathing life like us but also of cities built under oceans of freezing-cold liquid methane, for example... we just don’t know. On the other hand, the conditions required for life to happen here might be such a long shot that it really DID only happen once, and were damned lucky to even get that once.

It’s the old "What are the odds of THIS happening?" question, which seems to only be asked right after the thing being spoken of is already an actuality, which means one hundred per cent! Maybe out of all the zillions of habitable planets in the universe, perhaps some far more so than EARTH was when life first began, most of them just never beat the odds. In that case there’s a huge universe out there of worlds on which this question is not being asked, which puts the fact that it’s being asked on the only one it possibly could be asked on in perspective. We might have an exaggerated notion of our own normalcy, because the only world we’ve ever lived on is this freakishly unusual one. Or, there could be so many aliens out there that they’e amazed we’re still debating it. I honestly don’t know.

So really, I guess the reason I’ve fallen into belief is that it just feels way more pompous to run around thinking that the universe really does revolve (metaphorically speaking) around just us, than to just say that the entire SOLAR SYSTEM does.

I’m even open to the idea that we’ve been visited, but in general I tend to laugh off "UFOlogy" as a silly pretend New Age science. For one thing, I’ve yet to meet a person obsessed with UFOs who even considerd them to be UFOs. I mean, if you’re positive that they’re spaceships built by little grey men who’ve come here to probe us, then they’re not unidentified flying objects, right? They’re identified. They’re called Alien Space Ships. So shouldn’t they should call the study of such things ASSology?

01/26/09  11:23pm

MikeIsEvil
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1940501

Quote:

mean, if you’re positive that they’re spaceships built by little grey men who’ve come here to probe us, then they’re not unidentified flying objects, right? They’re identified. They’re called Alien Space Ships. So shouldn’t they should call the study of such things ASSology?

Lmao! Very clever.

But I do agree. I really dont believe in much that I dont have much proof on. But I dont think there is a reason NOT to believe theres life outside of our galaxy. Time will tell I suppose.

Mike,

01/26/09  11:39pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: MikeIsEvil   In reference to Message Id: 1940517

im not sure if i believe in UFOs or A.S.S.’s anymore...LMAO but, i use to.

have you ever noticed how they always make movies based on things theyre afraid are going to happen or that have been predicted to happen? mass destruction.. movies about asteroids, global warming and the such.. and theyve made tons of movies about aliens!! makes me wonder how many people fear that happening! that would be like the worst thing imaginable to happen, i think. to be invaded!!!! lol (still sounds like science fiction...). but, ya never know....

but, if there were other life on other planets, its probably so far far away we couldnt reach them. or find them. didnt they say they had some kind of contact? lol maybe im thinking of a movie i watched! ...haha and there is that so called "Area 51". and all the talk about New Mexico having a lot of sightings (weather balloons lol).

i just dont know anymore...

01/27/09  12:01pm

DragonPaw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1940740

Absolutely! With all the numberless solar systems in this galaxy, plus all the numberless galaxies with their own numberless solar systems in this universe (and even possibly other universes, who knows?) how can there not be other life? It may be rare (compared to the number of solar systems in the number of galaxies) and surviving in a way completely unimaginable to us, but it is almost certainly out there. However, it will almost certainly not be humanoid (lol, link) or any other way it is pictured in our science fiction.

02/01/09  03:48pm

Leira
View Profile

Message To: DragonPaw   In reference to Message Id: 1944477

It would be downright insane to say that out of all the expansive, never-ending, unexplored universe out there that Earth is the ONLY planet with some form of life on it. That’s just...impossible. The way I see it, of course there is life somewhere out there. It may very well be lightyears away, and we may never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (ever ever ever ever ect.) come in contact with it, but of course it’s out there, in my opinion.

As for those little UFO’s flying around, those could easily be hoaxes, but if you go back in time some thousand years, you’ll see cave drawings of alien-looking people, and figures that look like ’flying saucers’ and whatnot. And I still want to know more about those mutilated cows and crop circles and such...and yes, there are difinately proffesional crop-circle fakers out there, but according to some documenteries I have seen the ’real’ crop circles have very distinct characteristics that, supposedly, would be impossible or at least very hard to duplicate. And somewhere in some part of the world (sorry for the vagueness) there are ’ancient’ markings carved into the ground in the shape of some weird spider thingy, and an odd-shaped humanoid thingamajig. I can’t remember what they were called, and hopefully someone here can, because I googled but couldn’t find it...anyways, they can only be seen clearly from WAY up in the air, giving the impression that it’s the only way they were ment to be seen. And considering how long ago they were made, humand wouldn’t even have been able to get up that high, essentially ruining the point of creating them, and making it that much less likely that they were created by humans.

My conclusion is that as far as Aliens coming to Earth in flying saucers and the like, I am definately a skeptic, but there’s enough evidence that I wouldn’t be suprised if it was true. But as for there being life on other planets/galaxies in general, I am a 100% believer.

-Leira

02/01/09  06:21pm

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area