Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

Gottee guy   MissSkyTheGecko   JackAsp   Gottee guy   JackAsp   JackAsp   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Gottee guy
View Profile

?mushrooms

what can be used as a mushroom killer/repellant? will a mix of soap/water/vinegar work?
the bottom of my snake’s plywood enclosure got too damp and now white mushrooms are literally sprouting out from the bottom of the wood every couple days. i pick them out but they just sprout back up. so what could i use to get these mushrooms away?
(other than taking the whole bottom of the plywood cage off.)
i think their spores might be a hazard to my animals’ health. any input appreciated.

12/04/08  08:16pm

MissSkyTheGecko
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1909361

?mushrooms

You’re going to have to take it apart. Mushrooms grow from a ring of fungus that is actually Under the surface. The mushrooms are simply there to release spores. You have to kill the "city", if you will, in order to get rid of the mushrooms. The Fungus Among Us is a good video about mushrooms and fungus...I’ve watched it too many times lol. As far as what to Use to get rid of it, I’d say bleach is your best bet, if at all possible. But I’m not entirely sure. Just thought I’d let you know how mushrooms work, and just picking them won’t get rid of them. Good luck!

12/05/08  02:02am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: MissSkyTheGecko   In reference to Message Id: 1909505

?mushrooms

Dryness. You have to get the wood dry. otherwise, it’ll be damp, which it’s not supposed to be, AND toxic from whatever you use to kill the fungus. Toxins that are moist spread more easily than toxis that are dry.

12/06/08  12:04pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1910118

?mushrooms

what do you mean about toxins, jack? i haven’t used anything to kill the fungus, apart from picking them out from the plywood.

12/06/08  07:10pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1910252

?mushrooms

That’s good. Drying and salt are the only harmless things I can think of right off the top of my head.

12/11/08  02:42am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1912553

?mushrooms

Too bad they don’t grow in your box turtle cage.

12/11/08  05:46pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1912906

?mushrooms

good idea! they stopped growing though.

12/11/08  09:00pm

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area