Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

Snakemaster1   Snakemaster1   DuckMonster   Clawedfrogsrule   DuckMonster   Clawedfrogsrule   DuckMonster   Phoul   R0ck_0n_dude   ThatGuyImTheShadows   DuckMonster   DuckMonster   ThatGuyImTheShadows   DuckMonster   ThatGuyImTheShadows   DuckMonster   Gecko boy12   Gecko boy12   ThatGuyImTheShadows   DuckMonster   ThatGuyImTheShadows   DuckMonster   R0ck_0n_dude   DuckMonster   ThatGuyImTheShadows   JackAsp   R0ck_0n_dude   DuckMonster   DuckMonster   R0ck_0n_dude  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Snakemaster1
View Profile

PETA shows their true colours

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ihuSs74CWmjYT-tliNolmbNVuUng
this link shows how low PEAT really is just makes you sick.

08/08/08  05:42pm

Snakemaster1
View Profile

Message To: Snakemaster1   In reference to Message Id: 1824312

Link did not work .
PETA tries to run ad comparing Manitoba beheading to animal rights abuses
1 day ago

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Man. — An animal rights group has tried - and failed - to run a newspaper ad comparing the beheading of a passenger on a Greyhound bus last week to the treatment of animals by the meat industry.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, said on its website it would run the ad in the Portage la Prairie Daily Graphic.

However, city editor Tara Seel said the newspaper had no intention of running the ad, which uses imagery of "an innocent victim’s throat" being cut, in reference to the slaughter of cows, chickens and pigs on factory farms.

"His struggles and cries are ignored ... the man with the knife shows no emotion ... the victim is slaughtered and his head cut off ... his flesh is eaten," reads the ad, which is posted on the website.

"If this ad leaves a bad taste in your mouth, please give a thought to what sensitive animals think and feel when they come to the end of their frightening journey and see, hear and smell the slaughterhouse."

Seel would not specify reasons for why the newspaper was choosing not to run the ad, except to say it wasn’t something they wanted to do. She noted the newspaper had been inundated with calls from other media since the posting to the PETA website.

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, of Edmonton, has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old carnival worker Tim McLean, who was stabbed and decapitated aboard a Greyhound bus on July 30.

Li has been ordered by a judge to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

"Like human victims, animals in slaughterhouses experience terror when they are attacked by a knife-wielding assailant," Lindsay Rajt of PETA said in a news release. "We are challenging everyone who is rightly horrified by this crime to look into their hearts and consider leaving violence off their dinner plates."

Rajt said the ad was intended to be shocking and is meant to spur people to think about the terror and pain experienced by animals who are raised and killed for food.

08/08/08  05:45pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Snakemaster1   In reference to Message Id: 1824316

PETA is an organization that has nothing to do with the word ’Ethical’ at all. They are not concerned with animals except as a way to cause people to feel bad and send donations. They are not worth the time of day.

PETA - People Eating Tatsy Animals

There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the Potatoes.

08/08/08  07:30pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1824414

well I’m no vegetarian, and I truly am against peta because of their methods...but the overall message here I can understand. I mean I know that comparing a human death to that of an animal is something that we just don’t like to do because we see ourselves as superior, or at least on another level, but I’m fairly certain that animals do experience that same terror and feeling of helplessness when faced with such a grim death sentence.
The article was in poor taste, but I don’t think there’s any denying that what animals go through from the factory farms to the slaughterhouse is pretty traumatic, and not something that we’d want to experience.

08/08/08  09:18pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1824497

Is that ’trauma’ any worse than the terror experienced by a seal in the jaws of a shark? By a rat in the coils of a snake? By a mouse being pummeled by a monitor lizard? We must eat and we have come a long way since we killed by spear or running the herd over a cliff. Get over the guilt of being human. I believe in killing them for food, but not mistreating them while alive.

I am completely Pro-animal farming and food-use. However, there are some animal products I won’t buy.

Veal - I do not agree with the way the animals are grown and kept. I don’t protest, I just don’t buy.

Shark - I think it is being over fished. And let me tell ya, that is some GOOD meat.

08/08/08  10:09pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1824539

I didn’t say that being killed by people is different than being killed by other animals, just that I’m sure it’s as traumatic for them as it is for us. I believe in animals for food use too, which is why I don’t protest eating them (in most circumstances, as you stated there are exceptions).

08/09/08  11:10am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1824874

My point is, traumatic or not, they must die for us to eat. The trauma, while it should be minimized, is a moot point. It just is. Such is the food chain, such is life.

08/09/08  11:27am

Phoul
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1824539

if you had ever ate shark you would know its tasteless thats why they put it into a soup so the broth can soak in, that what gives it its taste... id rather eat dirt than a shark

08/10/08  09:37am

R0ck_0n_dude
View Profile

Message To: Snakemaster1   In reference to Message Id: 1824312

I still eat meat. But I am all for animal rights. We have to eat, and people who don’t eat meat made that choice on their own. I hate seeing an animal tortured. They can be killed for food but not abused while still alive. If I find out a company mistreats their animals before they’re killed I wont eat their products, I wont pretest, I just stop.

08/10/08  10:54am

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: R0ck_0n_dude   In reference to Message Id: 1825864

Duckmonster, please tell me you arent comparing natural hunting methods/life with farm production and slaughter houses? If animals could talk, Id bet all of them would choose to be mauled by a lion or crocodile than choose to die in a slaughter house. Its bad enough we have to kill the animals to eat, but to treat them horribly as if they arent alive at one point is absolutely terrible. I dont see anything wrong with eating animals, its life. It happens everywhere, but I hate the way animals are killed for the process, its absolutely disgusting and un called for and needs to be stopped. Its not hard to kill an animal in a more humane way. Some of the slaughter machines seem to be created in a way for animals to die slower. Its horrible.

Mike...

08/10/08  07:34pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Phoul   In reference to Message Id: 1825825

You’d rather eat dirt? Then you are in luck, as there is plenty of that. Not sure what ’shark’ you were eating, but it is a flavorful, non-fishy, firm meat. Very good, but as I said, i’ll not buy more as I think it is overfished in regards to its reproductive rate.

08/11/08  05:09pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1826364

Shadows,

Please tell me that you have seen video of lions eating gazelles, while the gazelle is still alive. Polar Bears eating a walrus, ripping pieces off while the walrus is trying to get away. Cheetahs eating the hind quarter of a young water buffalo, while it is crying out to mother.

Perhaps you are right, maybe that is the better way to kill and eat an animal, while it is still alive and squawling. One way to find out, I’ll go down to the barn tonight and use a couple of hard tined garden tools to simulate claws and take down one of my goats and eat it wild style, seeing if I can het a mouthful of meat while it is still trying to get away. I’ll get back to you on the experience.

08/11/08  05:14pm

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1827319

Oh Duckmonster stop, you know exactly what I mean. Yeah, out there in the wild its brutal(not ALWAYS as brutal as you said it). Ive seen plenty of wild animals videos seeing animals tear apart another one. But, Im sure youve seen slaughter house videos and its down right awful and horrible. Getting clawed and eaten by a lion is pretty bad for a poor animal, but getting electricuted and smashing to the floor only to be cuffed by your feet and hung upside down to get your throat slit and bleed out is also pretty bad aswell. And dont even get me started on the fur trade where animals are skinned, sometimes skinned alive. Im just saying if humans are so "superior" why cant we kill animals for food consumption in a more humane way? Instead of having the animals suffer horribly. Its not even meat production.....Have you seen videos on fur trade, leather production, the way our "healthy" cows and chickens are kept before being sold off for meat, milk production and shark hunting???? Its all brutal and terrible and Im clear on my way to become a vegetarian. I personally like meat, but I just really really cannot stand the way an animal is killedf for us to eat. Ive seen videos of poultry production. Please tell me you can bite into a chicken wing after seeing how it got on your plate? Its pretty obvious here, humans(in a general, overall look) suck. They suck BIGTIME and arent superior at all. I love animals and care deeply for them, but I see no wrong in eating them. That is natural, but if I got to choose, I think Id rather be chopped up by a crocodile then blled out upside to only become your hamburger.

Mike....

08/11/08  08:13pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1827512

Ok, so be a LEADER. Start your own, economically viable animal ’nice-killing’ business. You know, bring them in, ’celebrate’ their life, give them a massage, a nice injection of a relaxing herbal extract to speed them on their way to ’paradise’.

Let me know how THAT works out.

08/11/08  09:30pm

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1827624

Thats all I ask!

Mike...

08/11/08  11:46pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1827795

Shirley, you can’t be serious?

Then you’d be upset that the meat you are being sold has chemicals in it. Oh, the outcry, "The Gov’t is putting deadly, life-ending chemicals in our meat!"

Think some on this Mike. Not about how the world "should be", but how it is. Reality can be a harsh thing, but it is what it is.

08/12/08  09:10am

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1828101

may i suggest (and yes it exists) peat-sucks.com?

08/12/08  03:00pm

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1828471

whoops try this onepeta sucks

08/12/08  03:01pm

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1828472

Ofcourse Im not serious, but there are plenty of other ways animals can be killed humanely without deadly aftermaths. If we could create medicine, gas powered cars, and every other chemical type technology, Im sure it wouldnt kill a scientist to try and develop some sort of procedure that will kill an animal painlessly while it still being healthy to eat. Its just arrogent and lazy to have an animal suffer when if someone worked a tad bit at another way, the animal will die without suffering. I mean if you really look at it, is castrating a bull without anestetics right?? Our is it just the fact of a lazy owner that wont fork over the money to have it properly done? Do chickens and turkeys have to be kept in such horrible conditions before being horribly killed? All Im saying is there is defiantly another way to do this, but people are just arrogent and lazy. A bullet to the head will even suffice, but then I guess Duckmonster, youll attack me on how youd get unwanted shrapnel in your hamburger.................Lol.

Mike...

08/12/08  03:21pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1828494

We CAN create any way you’d like to kill an animal for food. But it all comes down to $$. Design, build and operate your version of a humane killing house. What are your thoughts on how this would be done?

Castrating a bull is done as it is. How would you do it? Remember, in the real world, $ has meaning. People (farmers) raise cattle to make money, not to be the animals friend. If I can castrate 100 bulls at $0.15 apiece, thats $15. Or I can sedate them, in a sterilized barn for $125 apiece for a cost of $12,500. Kinda takes a bite out of the profits, not to mention that now hamburger costs $11 a pound.

You talk alot about being "horribly killed". What is the method you are speaking of? Most cattle are killed by a hammer gun that essentially acts like a gunshot to the head. BANG!! Done, drag it off for processing. Sounds quick to me. Chickens are hung by feet and heads cut off. If it was good enough for the French, well, again, it sounds quick to me.

Shrapnel (Buckshot?) has been in my meat before, no big deal, just what you need to put up with to get fresh Pheasant.

08/12/08  03:42pm

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1828522

Sadly, in this world, profit and money is more important that a life on an animal. Thats my point right there. People are so desensitzed and see nothing wrong with killing an animal that way, as long as they get their money. I did a report on animal rights in high school, and let me tell you, from what I read cows arent killed in that way. What I read(and used as an opening for my report), is that cows are brought into a room. This long, arm like machine things come onto both sides of the cow, shock it with a high volt. The cow falls to the floor and then its feet are cuffed and hung upside down until someone comes over and its throat is sliced open, to bleed to death upside down. AFTER that, its then dragged away. Ive seen videos on this, with people slicing the cows throat and blood literally POURING out everywhere and them not giving a care in world. Goes back to my point where they just dont see how horrible it is to kill an animal like that. I know money is an important thing, but how desensitized do you have to be to cut open a cow and remove its testicles while its conscience! Like, it kills me to think of what that animal goes through...All for a profit. Chickens are dipped into boiling water(I think water) so their feathers can come off easy while they are on some sort of belt and the animals heads are being lobbed off. Sometimes, the machines fails and only cuts half the head off or whatever, and people come in, just tearing it off like its nothing. And BEFORE all this, the chickens are kept in tiny, filthy, crowded cages. Their beaks are cut off so theres no injury to them just in case of a fight. Their beaks...CUT off!

"Most cattle are killed by a hammer gun that essentially acts like a gunshot to the head."

Not what Ive read and seen, but I sure hope thats how its done.

Mike...

08/12/08  04:24pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1828578

Mike,
No one can run a business for a loss. It doesn’t work. You can lament all you want that the $$ is ’all powerful’, but someday YOU will be on your own, in the world. Rent, Phone, Electric, Water, Taxes (Fed, State, County, Local, ad nauseum), Internet, Food, Gas, Car Payment, Insurance (Home, Car, Health, Life, ad nauseum), all these require you to work.

Or perhaps, maybe, you will start ond run your own business. If you do, remember these words you have said. Be the ’good businessman’, sell your services at breqak even, or be bold and sell at a loss, pay any employees 3x the amount of income they produce for you. Show that the $ is not important, as you fail and lose it all.

A cow does have its throat slit, to bleed it out. But it is not done with the animal conscious or ’aware’. Whether by hammer gun or shock, it is put unconcious or killed then ’processed’.

Castration of stock animals is done two ways, depending on what end result is desired. One: A VERY tight rubber band is stretched over a spreader, placed over the ’jewels’, then released. This cuts off blood flow, the testes die and literally drop off in days. Or, Two: They are cut off so as to be used as food (think Mountain Oysters).

Chickens are killed THEN plucked. Not sure about the boiled water part, I do not seem to recall ever seeing chicken parts in a store that had ’scalded’ looking skin. I do know, having worked on a Pheasant Club as a kid, that a bird can be plucked quickly in a machine that uses many rubber ’fingers’ that spin and yank the feathers out. (this was done only on dead birds).

Not sure about the beaks, but I can say this, think about it. A chicken must use its beak to eat. My daughter had a chicken (Half-Beak) who, as you can guess by its name, had only the bottom half of its beak. It had to be literally fed, as it could not eat by itself. I would say the same is true of beakless chickens. AND, Seeing a truckload of chickens go by, I’ve never seen beakless chickens. Urban Legend?

08/12/08  04:40pm

R0ck_0n_dude
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1828604

mmk.
well I’m too lazy to type out a huge argument. But all I have to say is I agree with Mike. Ive seen so many videos on this, so I know where he’s coming from. Chickens are boiled to remove the feathers, cows throats are slit while fully conscious, Ive seen videos where they showed a skinned dog. It was still moving and everything. There’s videos where piglets are picked up straight from the pen, and they cut their tails off like its nothing. Its sick what they have to go through.

http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=8Tx8b6TJZlI&feature=related Here’s a video on cows, even though this whole post is anti-peta. Its the best one that shows the message.

08/12/08  06:26pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: R0ck_0n_dude   In reference to Message Id: 1828725

Hey there "rod",
Chickens may be boiled to remove feathers (but in the US? Prove it) but only after having been killed. Again, as posted above, I do not recall having seen ’scalded’ chicken skin on the chickens I buy.

Cows are mostly killed by hammer gun. period.

Skinning dogs? Here in the US? not likely. Maybe in China. Go there. Protest there. Please?

08/12/08  06:42pm

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1828751

We arent talking about weather its in the US or not. Regardles, the animals still suffer horribly. THATS what we are talking about.......In that video it clearly states and shows live chickens being boiled to remove feathers, same with pigs to remove the fur. When they say USDA I assume it is in the US....and the fact that they are showing the video, means most liley it is in the US. Also, what other possible country/continent/place(aside from China possibly some places in Europe) has such modern and advanced technology for processing meat? Aside from that, we are hear stating its horrible and mis treating the animals either way, regardless if its in the US or not...

Mike...

08/13/08  12:02am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1829108

I agree that our slaughtering methods are as good as or better than what other predators do. If better methods come along that are afordable, I say we should use them. But right now, I’m just happy I’m not eating a wolly mammoth that was stabbed over and over for sixteen hours before dying.

However, while the slaughtering conditions are getting better, the living conditions are getting worse. Incidentally, that’s also why chicken and turkey are much flabbier and less palatable than previous generations ate. Cows don’t have it as bad, pigs have it worse than cows, because the conditions they’re raised in are more cramped and boring than I even keep my feeder roaches in, and poultery have it worse than pigs, because it wouldn’t even be legal to keep a pig the way poultrey are kept. There are different laws for mammalian livestock than there are for poultrey.

Truth be told, there actually ARE enough areas where we have room for improvement that if PETA would pick and choose their batles a bit (well, OK, a LOT) more wisely and less partisanly, I might actually like them. But instead they protest shelters that have a lower kill-rate than they do, act like eating beef is every bit as bad as eating veal, and simultaneouly insist that we are both inferio to other species AND should still be expected to hold ourselves to a system of ethics that no other omnivore, or for that matter even HERBIVORE, on the planet actually follows!

When it’s all said and done, everything that PETA does is either just flatout loony, like lecturing you that you’re demeaning your animal companion by saying "pet" instead "animal companion," or it’s done better by somebody else. There are better-organized environmental groups, anti-animal abuse groups, you name it, but are they geting the funding? Hell no, because PETA keeps sucking up all the funding and then spreading itself too thin to wear any of the hats it keeps yanking off of the other groups’ heads.

08/13/08  03:40am

R0ck_0n_dude
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1828751

http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4&feature=related heres a video about different types of meat. Chickens and Turkeys are the first ones to be covered.

It doesn’t matter if its in the US or not. Its still cruel. In another video is said in the UK chickens were thrown against the wall and one worker twisted the chickens head until it came off and used its blood to write on the walls. One chicken was squeezed so hard that poo was forced out of it and the worked squirted it right into the eyes of other chickens saying "Then smarty pants on us, they should smarty pants on each other"

No matter where it happens its still sick and wrong.

08/13/08  12:17pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: R0ck_0n_dude   In reference to Message Id: 1829531

Well, then, next time you are in England, do not have the chicken.

08/13/08  01:04pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1829108

But it is SO important that this does not happen here where we live. I can look at my plate of delicious meat ptroducts and eat with a clear conscience.

If England says it is OK to cut off beaks and pre-scald the chickens before they are killed, then might it be more effective to carry your message across the pond and say that it is not right? You will accomplish nothing here in the US, except to be told "We don’t do it that way here, aren’t you glad? Would you like potato salad with your fried chicken?"

08/13/08  01:27pm

R0ck_0n_dude
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1829612

PETA shows their true co lours

I do eat meat.
The video isn’t from England. I said IN ANOTHER VIDEO I wasn’t talking about that one.
I can eat meat with a clean conscience also, as long as the animal was killed humanely

08/13/08  02:56pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area