Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

SlipKnot4ever   Dislimbed   Gottee guy   SlipKnot4ever   Clawedfrogsrule   Reptililian Boy   DuckMonster   Reptililian Boy   JackAsp   DuckMonster   DuckMonster  
 Member  Message

SlipKnot4ever
View Profile

WC opinions

i’ve seen alot of different opinions on keeping animals from the wild. What do you think about it? i think its alright as long as you know exactly what you are doing and give it excellent care. your opinions??

08/02/08  09:18pm

Dislimbed
View Profile

Message To: SlipKnot4ever   In reference to Message Id: 1817509

WC opinions

I’m against it.
I dont think people should take animals from the wild unless they are taking an injured animal, rehabilitating it, and releasing it.

Quote:

i think its alright as long as you know exactly what you are doing and give it excellent care.

me too, but i still think it would be better not to.

08/02/08  09:41pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Dislimbed   In reference to Message Id: 1817544

WC opinions

i think as long as it is common or very common and you give the best care for it, it’s okay,even though i flinch at the thought of it because most people don’t know the right care for some animals and just put it in a tiny cage.
but i don’t beleive in taking endangered or animals of special concern from the wild.

08/02/08  10:12pm

SlipKnot4ever
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1817587

WC opinions

personally i dont do it. i have no wild caught animals. but i know some people like taking anoles, fence lizards, rat snakes, and stuff like that.

08/03/08  08:52am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: SlipKnot4ever   In reference to Message Id: 1817886

WC opinions

I think it’s better just to make your yard a nice little place for them to come visit, that way you get to see them often, but they get to stay where they’re happy and free to go wherever they want. Like if people like the frogs or turtles in the area, make a pond that they’d like to come visit every once in a while, it’s probably cheaper than taking it inside and having to give it constant care and feeding it, and you always get to see it.

08/03/08  11:51am

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1818032

WC opinions

I’m against yet I have one of my own. Under certain curcumstances like if it’s injured or you feed it, you should not. THis woman on the lizard forum took 4 blue bellies and illegally 3 alligator lizards of of the wild and that pissed me off. Eventually she got a bigger tank and released one but still its like getting reptiles for free. She even illegally breeded them but aI think she got rid of the eggs so...anyway, I’m against it but for it under certain things

Alec

08/03/08  04:05pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: SlipKnot4ever   In reference to Message Id: 1817509

WC opinions

Ok, here are my $0.02. I have a WC Eastern Milk. Smiley. (Check out Kingsnakes Forum) She has been an awesome animal. She was WC at a nuclear plant in Illinois. The 5 big burly scared guys that had her in a 5 gallon bucket thought she was a Massasauga Rattler. SHe had them at bay with her tail wag. I raqched in and picked her up and she has been with me since. She is so calm, she will not strike at food, but will gently open her mouth and take the f/t mouse from my fingers.

Having said that, in general, I do not think it is a good practice to be used often. We caught a young corn at our home, kept him for a couple days, fed him well and turned him loose. Had we kept him, I would have named him Jalapeno, for the pattern on his head.

There are plenty of good CB animals to buy, but as with any captive population, sometimes it is good to bring in fresh genes.

So there ya go, my thoughts.

08/05/08  06:39pm

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1820866

WC opinions

I agree DM...Sometimes it’s better to take in something than let it stay. My Cali Kingsnake is pretty docile, but defacates on my hands and/or retreats to a hide box. I don’t think I will ever be able to hand feed it...

Alec

08/07/08  12:49am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reptililian Boy   In reference to Message Id: 1822462

WC opinions

There are, or at least should be a few prerequisites to owning a pet.

One of them is impulse control. Can you refrain from doing something that you want to do? Someone who can’t be trusted to look at a wild herp without immediately looking for something to imprison it in is probably not going to be good at, say, cleaning the cage if there’s something on TV right that minute that they want to see. And then something else on TV. And then their friend comes over. And then they play videogames. And then they go out. Meanwhile, the animal continues to sit in its own crap, because it knows it has no place to go except that little rectangle.

Another thing is the ability to differentiate between the animal’s actual stress level and what they would LIKE the animal’s stress level to be. Whether or not something bothers it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you WANT that thing to bother it. I’d like to sit here typing right now with my hognose draped over my shoulders, but she’s diurnal, she’s not a good climber, so being on me for long periods isn’t really fun for her anyway, and keyboard vibrations frighten her. Granted, part of me would also like to just hear her get scared and hiss all day, but the rest of me understands that being stressed is an unpleasant experience for her.

Wild animals will run, hide, bite, scratch, thrash, musk, crap, and in general do every single possible thing they can to get away from you. Take the hint. That’s not their way of saying "I sure wish I was in that little Critter Keeper your aunt gave you for Christmas." Nor, grownups, is it their way of saying "Please throw me into a plastic bin and mail me to the first person with Paypal who asks."

Granted, I also have one WC. She hates me, of course. She’s a Florida cane toad. Leave ’em in the wild, kill ’em all, or keep ’em in captivity, there’s arguments against all of those, but what’s left?

08/09/08  02:42am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1824720

WC opinions

Leave ’em in the wild, kill ’em all, or keep ’em in captivity, there’s arguments against all of those, but what’s left?

Well, Options 1 and 3 are possible as a hybrid solution, which is what we are doing today. Most are wild, some are captive. Option two is just rhetorical at best.

Our success as a species is undeniably putting pressure on the wild populations. And who can say for sure where all of this will lead? I do know that there are some species that can not adapt to Man. They will over time disappear. There are some that do adapt and do well. And some that are just incompatible, (think large predators here).

So, that being the case, there are solutions for those that can not adapt to living ’with’ us, captivity, if the species is to survive. Same for the larger predators.

But I think snakes here in North America have managed to co exist fairly well in general, though I ma sure you could cite some specific examples against that. Truth be told, my WC Eastern Milk is the only WC animal I have ever had. All others, to the best of my knowledge were CB, purchased in petstores or Reptile Shows.

So, it sounds like we agree, in general, WC is not the way to go. But I do think it has its place, to enhance the captive population in regards to breeding.

08/09/08  08:22am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1824803

WC opinions

And so, despite admitting I had a wc Eastern Milk / Corn, I recently turned loose an 08 Dekays Brown Snake. The diet is a bit more ’exotic’ than I am prepared to provide and I am unfamiliar with that animal. "Back to the wild with you!"

And off he goes to do his best.

08/18/08  09:45pm

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area