Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General Misc Forum

DuckMonster   Clawedfrogsrule   Reptililian Boy   DuckMonster   Reptililian Boy   DuckMonster   Reptililian Boy   DuckMonster   Gecko boy12   DuckMonster   Gottee guy   Clawedfrogsrule   Reptililian Boy   Gottee guy   Reptililian Boy   DuckMonster   DuckMonster   DuckMonster   Gottee guy   DuckMonster   Gottee guy   DuckMonster   Gottee guy   DuckMonster   Gottee guy   DuckMonster   Gottee guy   Reptililian Boy   DuckMonster   Gottee guy  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

DuckMonster
View Profile

What do you think about Nuclear Power?

OK, time for a little discussion on this topic as new plants are being proposed.

Me? I love them. No greenhouse gas concerns (CO2 isn’t a concern anyway, but I’m not above using the greenies argument against them).

07/12/08  02:50pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1792571

As an energy source it’s undeniably fantastic...but what about waste? Where’s it going and how can we ensure there won’t be any seriously hazardous leaks, or even potential meltdowns? As long as everything is running correctly it’s all wonderful, but if there is just one error, it can have insanely disasterous consequences.
And it’s non-renewable basically...I mean to an extent it is renewable, but it takes a reeeaaally long time, like unfathomable generations gone by.

I think we should be investing more time in developing biologically enhanced algae that produces more hydrogen in it’s photosynthetic cycle. The hydrogen would be the energy source, and algae can be grown basically anywhere and requires much less space to grow than other bio fuels like ethanol. In my opinion it’s the best choice in terms of renewability, safety, and economy.

07/12/08  10:45pm

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1793198

I think it’s good, but I agree with clawed when it isn’t renewable. Meltdowns don’t happen unless the plant is pretty much a dump and never is taken care of. I also agree that other renewable or semi-renewable sources should be promoted and researched to replace dirty and nonreneable sources...

Alec

07/13/08  12:36am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1793198

You bring up a few good points that need to be looked at. I can give you a little insight as I have been employed in the nuclear field, in varying capacities, for about 25 years.

Waste - There are 2 types of waste here: Fuel and Non-fuel items. But reagrdless of which type if waste It is handled somewhat similarly when it is packaged. In any case, the final package is tight, non-leaking and uncontaminated externally.

Non-fuel - This is a wide variety of waste, from very low level (rags, protective clothing, mopheads, rope, hoses, etc) to much higher level reactor components such as power range monitors and control rod blades. Until just recently, these were compacted to reduce volume, packaged in appropriate containers, and sent for disposal at Barnwell, SC. But that has changed. Barnwell has closed its doors to all but a few plants. This will definitely have an impact to other plants and will drive the development of either anothe disposal facility or the ability to dry store in shield casks.

Fuel - Is mostly stored in the fuel pools at the plants. BUT none of the plants was designed to be able to hold the fuel from a lifetime of operations. We had, and were supposed to be using a fuel reprocessing plant. Only about 1/3 of the usable Uranium is used in a fuel bundle before it is no longer able to sustain criticality. So, that 2/3 remaining (think recycle here) is just left sitting there, as we have no reprocessing facility since the not-so great president Jimmy Carter shut it down.

So, what do we do with it? The newest spent fuel must remain in the pool for cooling. But after a few years, it has decayed enough that it can be removed from the pool (shielded) and stored dry. Air convection is enough to cool it then. It is then stored, at the plant, outside, on a concrete pad.

So, where is Yucca Mountain? Pure politics is holding that up. I fail to see how storing the fuel outside is better than inside a mountain.

You are buying into some hysteria about ’insanely disastrous consequences’. The technology and design of plants has improved greatly on many fronts. The one major event in the US was TMI. And truth be told, the plant would have been fine if the operators had left it to do what it was designed to do. There were many active safety systems that were incorrectly turned off. But one mistake? no. Many will add up. But not one. It is definitely not the case that the plant is running and just waiting for someone to goof so it can ’meltdown’.

The renewable part, as pointed out above, today we are only using 1/3 of the fissionable Uranium. There is a lot to reclaim. But we won’t, too many greenie-groups using fear and hysteria to stop it from happening.

So, you you do seem to have at least an idea of one possible piece to the solution. Alternative bio-mass that does not make use of our own food to produce fuel. I would say to you that, as the costs of traditional energies is rising, the alternatives become more economically feasible. But they will only become widespread when they can make money, not cost it. And let’s not forget that Hydrogen is an extremely flammable substance. There are some steep learning curves involved with finding a safe storage method for its use in everyday situations.

07/13/08  12:10pm

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1793495

Yeah, isn’t it good to keep plants near the ocean or some type of large body of water? In case something oes wrong, but nothing should. I think over a period of time, alternative fuels should be introduced, but that’s probably a costly thing. Ehh, nuclear power is very efficent to my understanding and I still think it’s a good source for at least a few decades or until the nonrenewable part comes reachable to permanatley nonrenewable.

Alec

07/13/08  01:24pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Reptililian Boy   In reference to Message Id: 1793580

Yes, these plants do require a watre source, but so does any type of steam based plant. Not just for emergencies, but for normal ops. You need to supply water for cooling of the main condensers as well as other components within the plant.

Alternative fuels / sources of energy will come along as they become economically viable. No one will provide a service or commodity and lose money on it, at least not for long. Wind is coming online, with heavy subsidies (meaning tax dollar support), but these renewable sources of electricity have now been abandoned by the enviro-greenies, as they do at times kill birds. It seems that the true agenda of these people is not to have ’green’ power, but to deny this country Any power.

Ethanol? We are turning opur food into fuel, not really a good idea. This drives up the cost of Our food, as well as feedstocks for food animals.

Hydrogen? Storage issues. And also, it has a very low energy density when compared to petroleum products.

Electric cars? We do not have the generating capacity to charge a nation of electric cars. Why? We aren’t allowed to build power plants. Too many regulatory hurdles.

We could extend the supply of Uranium 3 fold, overnight, if we were to build and run a reprocessing facility, like France does. While that does not make it renewable, it does extend the supply. Imagine filling your tank with gasoline and only being able to use 1/3. The other 2/3 you have to dump out, then refill for a full tank.

07/13/08  03:14pm

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1793730

You’re right again

Alec

07/14/08  04:58pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Reptililian Boy   In reference to Message Id: 1795158

Well, now. Pres Bush (PBUH), has rescinded the Pres Ban on Oil Drilling in ANWR and Coastal areas on the West and East coasts. NOW it is up to Congress to follow suit. Disagree? Say hello to $5 or $6 gas soon.

07/26/08  01:02am

Gecko boy12
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1792571

i lkie it cause at the place i fish at the power plant warms the water and the fish like that.

08/02/08  05:22pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gecko boy12   In reference to Message Id: 1817242

Again, an example of how they may even be beneficial in nature in some ways.

08/02/08  06:15pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1817299

i think it is a bad idea, but not the worst idea.
you could power your home with geothermal,solar,and hydroelectricity if you live in hawaii or other islands instead of nuclear energy. not to mention they don’t have to store geothermal,hydroelectrical,and solar energy in cans and pay other countries to deal with it themselves!
we could fly the energy to space and let it float out there or throw it down to the core of the earth, but those would even have consiquences.the rocket or spacecraft may explode and send out all this harmful nonrenewable radioactive crap back to our homes, and that wouldn’t be too good.or if we throw it to the earth’s core it may break in the transportation of getting it there. so it is mostly a bad idea.

fish really prefer cooler or colder water areas because the oxegen levels are higher.
i tried to keep a perch outside in a tank and it died within a day but when i kept one in a bucket in the refrigerator it stayed alive for days until i finally fed it to my water snake.

actually it is alot more harmful than helpful for nature.
1.it destroys environments to make the power plant.
2.some environments are deeply effected by even a single degree off in water temperature,nevermind how warm the powerplant makes it.
3.it causes lots of radiation and chemicals and whatnot that are harmful to the organisms and people who swim in the "infected" water.

08/02/08  09:40pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1817542

yeah all that warm water causes thermal pollution. Even if the fish live through it, a lot of other organisms die with warmer water. Crustaceans do terribly, most notably lobsters, but also lots of others that we don’t notice, like the really tiny ones the fish eat...and once they start dying everything else kind of follows.
Tropical fish, like a lot of aquarium fish, do well in warm water since that’s where they’re found naturally. But things that have evolved to fit a cold water environment aren’t used to the change and can’t always adapt.

08/03/08  11:47am

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1818026

If we can’t get over a few different species being bothered by warm water, I don’t think we will ever get to lower prices. Just to let you know:

Everyone thinks that gas is extremely expensive and tons of people are going to go out of business, bankrupt, etc. In reality, gas that was 30 cents in the 60’s is really 3 dollars now. In other words, 30 cents in the 60’s could buy you 3 dollars of gas. And that was considered high back then. Now that the gas is 4 and a half dollars average (not really), it’s would be about 45 cents back then which is pretty high. The real problem is that our money is worth less. Just some info

Alec

08/03/08  04:15pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptililian Boy   In reference to Message Id: 1818332

but the real problem is that most people can only get paid so much so when the gas prices arise then works have to pay their employees more money or else no one would buy gas and the big gas companies would be broke because they also have to pay their employees or other countries for the transportation/pumping of the gas. so it’s actually a really confusing cycle and so that means even though you look back 70 years ago and say "gas was so cheap back then" it really was just as "cheap" as it is today as it was 70 years ago because you got payed alot less back then.

08/03/08  09:46pm

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1818789

That and the fact our money’s value is worse

08/04/08  01:00am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1817542

Another misinformed skull.

you could power your home with geothermal,solar,and hydroelectricity if you live in hawaii or other islands instead of nuclear energy

Gottee Guy, there are no nukes on Hawaii or other islands and none are proposed. Moot point. Try again. Geothermal and solar can sometimes be retrofitted to existing homes, for a price. You willing to pony up the pennies? And hydroelectric..... on Hawaii? LOL, riiiight.

they don’t have to store geothermal,hydroelectrical,and solar energy in cans and pay other countries to deal with it themselves!

What? Huh? What ’other country’ are we paying to deal with the small amount of nuke waste we have?

we could fly the energy to space and let it float out there or throw it down to the core of the earth, but those would even have consiquences.the rocket or spacecraft may explode and send out all this harmful nonrenewable radioactive crap back to our homes, and that wouldn’t be too good.or if we throw it to the earth’s core it may break in the transportation of getting it there.

Have you been talking with the Algoracle? The High Priest of ’Alternative Energy? Fly the energy into space? WHAT? Throw it to the Earths core? Huh? Is this the caliber of science thought being taught in schools today?

Suggestion, get off of the ’sound-bite’ news, off of the enviro-whacko info list and open some solid books on SCience and learn a few things.

fish really prefer cooler or colder water areas because the oxegen levels are higher.

Then, please, oh font of fish knowledge, enlighten us about why the warmer effluent from an electrical plant is a KNOWN and PRIZED fishing spot? Sorry about your Perch, but it can NOT be compared, as you had that fish in a closed system. Yes, as that water warmed, its O2 dwindled, and that fish had no way to get to more O2 rich water. However, that is NOT true in open water, where a fish can change locations as it sees fit.

it destroys environments to make the power plant.

Yes, it does, in that location. But, the same is true of your home, it destroyed some of Bambis environment too. Electrical plants must be built. If they are so bad, then please, do us all a favor, reduce the electrical load on the grid by unplugging your computer, geez, just open the main breaker for the house, lead the way for us to follow, that way no more nasty electrical plants need built.

it causes lots of radiation and chemicals and whatnot that are harmful to the organisms and people who swim in the "infected" water.

It causes radiation? Sure, so what? Do you believe that the environment, in its ’pristinity’ is radiation free? Do you believe your home is? Your food?

Food Carbon-14, Potassium 40 are big contributors, all natural.

Home Smoke detectors, old style glow in the darks. Americium and Radium. Lets not forget Radon gas from the ground and concrete, which decays into other radioactives that are particulates and that can be breathed in and stay. OH, and do you or your parents smoke? Polonium will give a huge yearly exposure to your lungs, from alpha radiation. Not good there, lemme tell ya. But, I guess thats natural, so it is OK?

Chemicals? Take a look around your home, what is used for cleaning and such, Read the labels, then feel free to tell me how environmentally ’sensitive’ your own home is, let alone worrying about a place that you may never see.

08/05/08  06:23pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1818026

Clawed, come on buddy,

other organisms die with warmer water. Crustaceans do terribly, most notably lobsters

One, Lobsters are deep water inhabitants. Two, by the time any effluent has reached there, the temp is effectively the same due to mixing with ambient water. Moot.

But things that have evolved to fit a cold water environment aren’t used to the change and can’t always adapt.

Look, either an animal can adapt or it cant. If it can, great. If it cant well, that leaves a niche for something to adapt into. Isnt ’evolution’ grand? You do believe in that theory, do you not? Natural selection? All that stuff?

08/05/08  06:27pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1818789

but the real problem is that most people can only get paid so much so when the gas prices arise then works have to pay their..................

Wow, it seems to me that there is an inability to properly and thoughtfully string together a cogent thought in sentence form. A ’symptom’ of the failing schools. And a Reason why some people "Can only get paid so much." But you did end that post with a period.

You do seem, though, to have a glimmer of a clue about the way the economy works using fiat monies, and why in the end, it will fail too.

08/05/08  06:31pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1820852

well when "natural selection" and "evolution" come around and you get slaughtered by your own theories i’ll be laughing.

08/05/08  06:37pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1820862

Laugh it up, I see that you seem to acknowledge that Man-kind is a ’natural’ animal, good job. We are part of the environment and can use it, manipulate it to our benefit. It’s an intelligence thing.

Also, typically, those who have no factual arguements revert to using posts such as your own to have the ’last word’. Not here. If you have a rebuttal, a factual rebuttal, feel free to give it.

08/05/08  06:42pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1820871

i do have one or two,but i don’t want to get into one of those annoying worthless arguments. at least not with someone 2 or 3 times my age.

08/05/08  07:07pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1820903

LOL, again with the sidestep. Nice job. When out of facts for arguing, just try to bring the other side down. Must be a Dem.

08/05/08  08:40pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1820985

i wasn’t out of facts for arguing, i could really bring up a big arguement, but it just gets annoying having to repeat all the same facts and details and reenforcing facts etc so i choose not to bring up an arguement.

08/05/08  09:09pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1821012

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about having to try to explain, I mean, look, I took each of your points, ad nauseum, and showed facts about why they were mistaken. You addressed, nothing except hoping to be around for my ’natural selection’ and then my age. I am humbled by your pithy replies.

08/06/08  09:59am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1821483

then what are you trying to do? brainwash me into thinking nuclear energy is the best nonrenewable fuel?
this is pointless.

08/06/08  03:17pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1821813

Wow, now you equate not answering replies to your misconceptions with brainwashing. Hope that tinfoil hat fits real well, it’ll help stop the evil mind control waves I’ve been broadcasting to you.

08/06/08  05:16pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1821973

this is turning interesting...

08/06/08  09:27pm

Reptililian Boy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1822250

Clean up your grammar. Really, he’s just arguing over things he disagrees with yu. Not that he’s hostile and making you believe what he believes in. Why not argue and be friends after? After all, that’s how things are done aren’t they? One group saying this is right and the other saying that is right.

Alec

08/07/08  12:54am

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: Reptililian Boy   In reference to Message Id: 1822468

Really, just an exchange of ideas, no personal attacks. I do find it interesting the amount of misinformation, misconceptions, ignorance (meaning Lack of Knowledge, not anything negative) about nuclear power. I’ve worked within the industry now for over 25 years, in various jobs. I can tell you, unequivocally, that I would much rather build my home next to a nuke plant than a coal plant, a chemical factory, or a chicken processing facility.

08/07/08  08:41am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: DuckMonster   In reference to Message Id: 1822640

i did read in a book that nuclear plants pay other countries to deal the nuclear waste themselves.
don’t you have a place where you keep the nuclear waste in your facility?
what do you plan on doing with it someday when you don’t have enough room to store it all?

08/07/08  10:16am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to *General Misc Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area