Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Information Forum

Penguinsrawesome   The Duke VII   CHAMELIAN KID   ES_Tropicals   G-Anole   Bumpkin  
 Member  Message

Penguinsrawesome
View Profile

Bad Pet Store

There is a pet store near where I live and it is horrible. It sells reptiles, mice rodents, birds, and fish. I donít like it because one i heard that the person that the store bought the animals from refused to sell the store anymore animals because the animals were dieing. They fixed that problem when the store was sold to another owner. The owner is not involved with the store at all. He hired to people who say they know what they are doing. But to my oinion they have no idea. So that brings me to my second reason. Correct me if i am wrong but you are supposed to clean the cages every month and clean out dead crickets and feces everyday. Well they donít they leave it sitt there till they change it completely. I would go to buy crickits and I would go check out the reptiles and there would be dead crickets everywhere. On the substrate and even in their water bowls there the would sit for one month. I donít want to go into full detail but I would just like to know if there is anything that I could do so I could save the poor animals.

Thanks for the input

07/20/06  03:23pm

The Duke VII
View Profile

Message To: Penguinsrawesome   In reference to Message Id: 895235

Bad Pet Store

You donít live in Louisville by any chance, do you? Because you just described a place thatís identical to one around here. They will leave dead snakes in cages for weeks, with no idea their dead. By the time they remove them their practically mummified. Thatís not even the half of it, but Iíll spare you the details.

07/21/06  09:23am

CHAMELIAN KID
View Profile

Bad Pet Store

report them to the aspca for crultey to animals and keepin them in poor conditions or you could always buy the ones in the worst conditions

05/05/07  12:56pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: CHAMELIAN KID   In reference to Message Id: 1270823

Bad Pet Store

Buying animals in poor condition from any store is not the wisest idea. Giving bad places business just keeps them in business. I know the intentions for buying animals that are poorly kept from stores though does seem like a good idea, and you may do it out of the best intentions. You need to educate these people running places like that, and many are unwilling to listen, because they own/run the place or even work there, they must know it all. If it is really that bad and the owner will not change things for the better, the places do need to be reported as mentioned above.

Sometimes some lawful intervention is just the kind of kick in the rear these places need to turn their ways around.

There are a lot of good places out there with well kept animals and knowledgeable people, sadly I feel there are so many more places that are not so good out there. I know more than a few that donít meet up to my ígood listí

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

05/07/07  12:21pm

G-Anole
View Profile

Bad Pet Store

wow.. I thought that the petstore I go to is bad. It had skinny lizards and pets. Hardly any employees are there (1 or 2). So I called SPCA and the store is doing a lot better.

07/01/07  07:33pm

Bumpkin
View Profile

Message To: G-Anole   In reference to Message Id: 1342033

Bad Pet Store

There is a pet store near where I live that I thought was pretty bad. The pets all look ok- except for the Iquanas, but Iíve bought two feeder mice from them (on differnt occasions) and they both died before I got to feed them to my snake- thank goodness for my snake! Is this concidered an unsafe store? Should I get involved?

07/25/07  12:13pm

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area