Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Information Forum

Livinglizard   Cphill58   Livinglizard   Cphill58   Livinglizard   Cphill58   Livinglizard   Cphill58   Livinglizard   Cphill58   Livinglizard   Cphill58   Livinglizard  
 Member  Message

Livinglizard
View Profile

Housing Different lizards

Can you house a baby Bearded Dragon and two Fence lizards together.

11/05/09  06:59pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Livinglizard   In reference to Message Id: 2092403

You could experiment and see what would happen ...then the next time someone asks you could let them know your experience...If anything gets hurt it will be the fence lizards and your ego. The baby dragon will eventually attack them , might even have them for lunch!
What size tank / enclosure?

They will also compete for food and basking spots ....or get so stressed they will hide and not eat properly...do you have a UVB light for any of them...do you know what UVB is? Or are you as misinformed as many others?

Cp

11/07/09  11:45am

Livinglizard
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2092978

I got Rex the dragon in a 20 Gal temp, and the Fence lizards in a 55 Gal tank. Yes for Rex I have a 18" UVA/UVB 10.0 Flo. tube bulb and a 100 watt UVA Basking spot lamp from ZOO MED for the hotter side keep it about 100/105 degrees and the cooler side at 80/90 degrees.
The Fence Lizards I have a 36" UVA/UVB 5.0 hanging from the top of the lid inside the tank and the same Basking lamp keeping the hotter side 85/95 degrees and the cooler side 70/80 degrees I also got a diff flooring since the sand clauses impaction I now have Cypress mulch bedding.

I think your the one who gave me the site for Rex’s new tank just wanted to say thanks again.
I do have one Question though what is the best way to get the humidity down and still keep your temp, my humidity is staying at 55% most of the time and 50% every now and then like to have it around 40/45% if possible.

11/07/09  02:43pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Livinglizard   In reference to Message Id: 2093031

LL...

Ok so the temps are much different for the fencies ...and the beardies... I know in California the native fencies liked the heat ...but sought the shade in the middle of the day...I think it is best to keep em separate

I hand fed the wild ones and was very excited to see the new borns each spring/ summer...

Now that I have moved to Utah ...I really miss them...we don’t have wild lizards here to make friends with. Maybe I will start a bird feeding station....LOL...just not the same ...you be good to those Blue Bellys and don’t be foolish. Mixing species is not good. Like would I put my Skinks with my beardies ...heck no as soon as they get close the beardies want to attack.

Your welcome for the links ...I hope you can use them someday.

Why is the humidity up ...where do you live?? Florida ...LOL...in Calif it was about 22% daily...I had to add some ...in Utah it is a disastrous 16% ...well it’s bad for tropical species like the iguana and the rainbow boa...but the beardies love it

The cypress mulch ...is it dry or damp ...we bought a bag of it for the boa ...and it was very damp ...takes a while to dry out....remove it ...take it out in the sun for a few hours....put it back.Or use the oven if weather is an issue.

OK ...TTYL

Chris

11/07/09  04:32pm

Livinglizard
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2093060

I think you miss under me lol the Fence Lizards have the Cypress mulch in the 55 Gal there doing good got them about perfect. At first I had thought about mixing the Blue Bellies and the Beardies that’s why I used this post but thought about it and decided not to and The people helped persuade me so I left the Fence Lizards in the 55 Gal and got a 20 Gal for a temp tank for Rex. He is the one I’m worrying about the Humidity is run around 50/55%, today I managed to hit 42% just want it a little lower with out using a fan so I don’t lose temp. I have Walnut bedding crushed and grounded really fine for digesting he likes it alot and if he eats any by accidentally it passes easy I also have one climbing stick for basking and a half log hideout you can find in a pet store, two bowls one for green salad like collard greens and mustard greens with a Calcium/D3 powder sprinkled on it but he does not eat it don’t know why maybe to young still, the other is small for water maybe two table spoonfuls. I lightly mist him once in the morning and once in the evening but very lightly so what is the problem if you can help me please.

11/07/09  11:07pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Livinglizard   In reference to Message Id: 2093202

Misting is never required for the bearded dragon ...stop it ... I mist a few times a year when temps soar above 100 in the evening when it is time for bed to cool them down ...if I feel it is unusually hot.

Misting is for tropical reptiles....not the beardies ...not the Blue bellies...nor any arid dry sun loving type of desert species...Who told you to mist them ...I am pleading with you to stop ...If you want them to be hydrated , do so by giving a 5-10-15 minute bath once a week...or 2x if you have time. I bath ours (14 ea.) maybe 2-3x a month...they are getting tons of hydration / moisture in their salad / greens every day ...they poop so much liquid I have questioned if it is normal .....and it is.

Stop misting ...the walnut substrate is absorbing the moisture too.... and it needs to be dried out and re used ...just spread it out on some paper in the sun and allow it too dry. Put it back after a few hours in the sun.

I swear to you the beardie will be fine ..if you think I would mis lead you , you are mistaken ...

Mist his salad if you must , outside of the tank , then place that in the enclosure ...

To much moisture is said to cause respiratory issues with bearded dragons.

Cp

11/07/09  11:46pm

Livinglizard
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2093212

OK thanks I read about the misting in a cheap book my wife go me, when it warms up a little more outside I will dry his bedding, and I have a tote outside for sun bathing and I will put Rex in it while the bedding is drying its a big tote I keep half of it covered for shade and the other is in direct sun light, he loves it in the nature sun, he goes almost straight to sleep. I can’t seem to get him to eat his salad is 5 month still a little young for salad, he eats 30+ crickets a day just wondering if I’m missing something, and one more thing what is the best way to bath him, I don’t trust this book anymore now that its got me going wrong. If you don’t mind I will use your advice for him, I don’t want anything to happen to him.

Thanks for Helping.
I know am inexperienced but I trying to change that.

11/08/09  07:31am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Livinglizard   In reference to Message Id: 2093276

No problem...I am glad to help ....we all have to learn somewhere.
Come over to the bearded dragon forum ...Me and Nancy and Edel and others will always answer your questions.
Sometimes dragons don’t like to eat their salads , but you must keep trying, eventually they will eat something that they are attracted too...sometimes I wiggle a piece of green (mustard greens) leaf in front of them like a worm or bug ...they attack it ..Sometimes they will eat it from my hand ...but not the feeding bowl. I offer fruits of many types also....they love berries and grapes...anything red /orange / yellow... so they really go after butternut squash...watermelon...purple grapes cut in half. Small pieces of apple (once a week) And rasberries and blueberries....there is too much to list.

Have you heard of the web site beautiful dragons dot com....? You must go there and read the NUTRITION section of all the good salads/fruits they can eat ...keep it in your favorites. I use that site many times a month just to enrich the diets , when I go shopping.

This web site won’t let me post the address ...some stupid thing about the webmaster here doesn’t like the owner there...so it is blocked

http://www.beautiful>>>>>dragons.503xtreme.com/home.html

Remove the arrows after you copy and paste to your address bar
Lots of good info here.

depending on how much time I have I will use the sink ...or the tub ...others have a Rubbermaid sweater box they fill with water....they can swim and will do so ...just make sure they have a brick to rest on if you make the water deep enough ...they bloat up like toads ...it is soo funny to see them float.

I keep the water about 90-95F ...I hold them and make sure they aren’t too freaked out ...then lower them into the water and direct them to the safety of the brick...if you are worried don’t fill the water above the shoulders...that way they can stand in the water.That’s why I lie the tub ...they can go deeper if they want. Some will never like baths ...and it will always be a chore ...but they need to be scrubbed and cleaned every so often. i use an old soft tooth brush to remove dead skin and shed.

It’s simple ...have fun ...10 minutes of soaking and bathing is fine once a week ....My GF Edel has her favorite one in the shower with her every once in a while...too weird huh ....LOL

Ok ...that’s it for now I guess...

Cp

11/08/09  11:19am

Livinglizard
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2093316

Thanks I got Rex to eat a few grapes small pieces I had them in his salad I change if every morning. So just let him soak in warm water once a week and scrub him every other week. Is that right, lol ya have to say that’s just a little weird but funny.

Thanks again

11/08/09  01:14pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Livinglizard   In reference to Message Id: 2093346

Your Welcome...anytime.

11/08/09  02:17pm

Livinglizard
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2093370

Ok I see, what kind of Dragon do you have I think mine is an Inland Bearded Dragon and he does not really look like yours though.

11/08/09  02:58pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Livinglizard   In reference to Message Id: 2093385

We have 14 ...so there are many ...sandfires and german giants and a Chris Allen Red..some are off spring from those too....Inland does not describe the color pattern / morph...possibly the locality.

Most people want to know the color morph. It’s a long process and I have yet to learn it all.
Nice looking critter you got .

Cp

11/08/09  03:18pm

Livinglizard
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2093390

You to, OK I was just wondering yours has a Britte orange and its very nice looking, mine has some yellow on the sides of his face and some on his back like a lemon color. He looks great.

11/08/09  03:26pm

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area