Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Information Forum

JOEBUG   Norf   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

JOEBUG
View Profile

HELP ME WITH THIS "PLEASE"

I JUST GOT 2 TAGU’S THERE STILL JUVENILE’S BUT I WAS TOLD THAT I HAVE TO PUT THEM IN HYBERNATION IF I TEND ON BREEDING THEM WHEN THEY GET OF AGE .. IF I DONT DO SO THAT THEY WILL BE STERILE !!! IS THIS TRUE ?? IF SO WHAT TEMPERATURE SHOULD I KEEP THEM AT AND HOW LONG SHOULD I KEEP THEM IN HYBERNATION ? PLEASE HELP ME OUT

10/17/09  10:25pm

Norf
View Profile

Message To: JOEBUG   In reference to Message Id: 2085246

I don’t have an answer but I can help you find the information.

Google, libraries, reptile pet shops and more books....research

10/22/09  06:42pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Norf   In reference to Message Id: 2087593

Joe ...it’s spelled Tegu ... and there are many types ...which one are you referrring too?

The argentine Tegu is the one that if you do not get it from a reputable breeder more than likely they will not breed here in the USA due to the improper acclimation of North and Southern equator. They are very prone to not breeding in the Northern hemispere. Not that they can’t ..they do have the ability...they are just turned upside down geographically.

Read all about that on the pages of AGAMA INTERNATIONAL. And seek out breeders that are trusted and known to sell breeding in the USA captive born ...not imported babies from some farm in the South Americas.

Brumation / hibernation is used to induce a natural response ..like all animals that hibernate they will feel the urge more strongly to breed in the spring. However Tegus will be confused because our spring here in the USA is the fall / winter season in South America....get it. That’s why true breeding stock is so expensive

How much did you pay and where did you purchase from??
Good Luck , I hope you didn’t get ripped off.

Cp

11/01/09  03:20pm

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area