Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Information Forum

GahanMan   Poncho   Darkling   Aka-chan92   Aka-chan92   Snake_Hunter91   Bruce Cates   REL JJA   REL JJA   REL JJA   Ameivaboy   Lizzie_105   Sixer   Kyle Frogpants  
 Member  Message

GahanMan
View Profile

How do I become a herpetologist???????

Im in my last year of HS and would like to become a herpetologist...

what should I do after HS,what should I take?????

09/23/04  09:01pm

Poncho
View Profile

Message To: GahanMan   In reference to Message Id: 148138

there are two ways to become an herpetologist, to study to become a veterinary or to study to become a biologist.
As a vet you will know how to take care of them in any sort of medical situation, as a biologist you will learn all about their biology, this is anatomy, physiology, behavior, environment, ecology, sistematics, and also where to find them, how to catch them, etc
I am studying biology to become an herpetologist, however you should know that you wont study exclusively herps, you will study a lot about other stuff you might not like. I myself hate molecular biology and have to study a lot about it

09/24/04  02:17am

Darkling
View Profile

Message To: Poncho   In reference to Message Id: 148271

Hello ;) I was wondering the same question. I want to become a zoolgist
I’m also in high school takeing biology (pritty good at it hehe) and i read that i would have to take at least a 2 year biology course in collage/university, but whats that all about. can i choose to only study animals and there behavorial patterns or do i have to take EVERYTHING... and i’m extremely bad at chem & physic’s so what do i do, I would appreciate your advice. thanxs 4 ur time.

01/04/05  09:21pm

Aka-chan92
View Profile

i want 2 be a herpetologist 2 but i dont know what kind of education is required

04/05/05  04:25pm

Aka-chan92
View Profile

Message To: Aka-chan92   In reference to Message Id: 298854

anybody know?

04/05/05  04:26pm

Snake_Hunter91
View Profile

Message To: Aka-chan92   In reference to Message Id: 298856

Go for a Zoology or Biology Degree....

05/18/05  11:02am

Bruce Cates
View Profile

Message To: Snake_Hunter91   In reference to Message Id: 346035

i would also like to be a herpetologist, my teacher has told me that no matter what you have to take basic courses you first two yaers of college, so you need history math english and that crap. but swhe also told me that if i want to be a herpetologist that i gave to take those courses and get my bachelors degree in biology, then i would be able to specify my further education on herpetology in golloge. so i would get my masters in herpetology. does anyone know any other further info. on this??????

05/27/05  09:01am

REL JJA
View Profile

Message To: Bruce Cates   In reference to Message Id: 354938

Yah i want to be one 2!!!! It sucks that everyone is saying u have to general ed first.....i mean i thought thats why we have been in school since we were 5 for general ed....well yah any further info about becoming a herpotologist faster i would greatly appreciate it!!!

08/29/05  09:23pm

REL JJA
View Profile

I thinki messed up on replying....so whoever is on the bottom i might have sent it to u!!! So this is what i meant to do.....I also want to be a herp. And it does stink that we have to do general ed before we can actually pursue our career....i mean what was 13 years of school for....that wasnt general ed?!?!?! Well anyway any further info on becoming a herp. faster and maybe by passing some general ed would be way helpful!!!!! Thanxs ya’ll!!!!

08/29/05  09:32pm

REL JJA
View Profile

AHHHH sorry....i guess i didnt mess up!!! SORRY!!!!!!

08/29/05  09:33pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: REL JJA   In reference to Message Id: 460180

I am currently going to school for a transfer into zoology, my associate degree major is natural science, yes it does suck that you have to take all of the general ed courses but all other degree programs require it not just for biology students. here’s some some useful links regarding herpetology and zoology careers http://www.zoology.unimelb.edu.au/careers.htm
http://www.asih.org/pubs/herpjobs.htm

10/28/05  02:41pm

Lizzie_105
View Profile

Message To: Poncho   In reference to Message Id: 148271

How do I become a herpetologist?

Sorry, No Message.

03/14/06  12:01pm

Sixer
View Profile

Message To: Lizzie_105   In reference to Message Id: 691665

General ed. sucks...but a bit of unsolicited advice from an old fogey:

Taking all the general ed. courses really bites, but look at it this way, if possible: they are just testing you, making you jump through the hoops, to see if you are dedicated enough to take your studies to the level of herpetology/zoology...

In studying either field you will need the skills that you’ll gain in your first two years of general study-basically how to survive in a university! That’s before it gets really difficult, so in a way it’s a favour to you...

Trust me-I went to university a year after HS to take advantage of a scholarship: I wasn’t ready, and flunked out, but now in my old aged wisdom, ten years later, have decided to pursue post-secondary studies of some kind. I wouldn’t have listened to someone like me at yer age either, but I wish I had. Just show ’em that you can play their silly game and win, jump through their hoops, jump higher than their hoops, if you will, and you’ll probably have tons of fun doing it-and it’s all for the goal of studying what you’re REALLY interested in anyway!

Good luck to all you future herpetologists/zoologists etc!

Now... what the heck am I going to study??!?!?!?!?

03/27/06  12:51pm

Kyle Frogpants
View Profile

Message To: Sixer   In reference to Message Id: 711550

Entomolgy or Herpatology

I Can’t Decide if I want to get phd in Forestry,Entomolgy, or Herpatology.

Plese give me ur opinion.

12/31/08  03:33pm

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area