Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Information Forum

Bumpkin   X_xbirdie   Bumpkin   X_xbirdie   Bumpkin  
 Member  Message

Bumpkin
View Profile

Going into the pet store business?

Hi, I was hoping some of you could give me some advise about the idea of owning a pet store. My husband and his dad are trying to get into a new buisiness. My husband and I would love to start a pet store some day maybe soon. I am a High School Bio teacher, so I dont know everything about animals, but i know alot and i know where to find info on caring for them. This forums pretty good actually. Anyways those of you who own or have owned pet stores, could u please give me some info. Thanks. I would really appreciate it.

07/25/07  12:34pm

X_xbirdie
View Profile

Message To: Bumpkin   In reference to Message Id: 1373967

Hi!

I donít personally own the petshop, but my uncle does, and I helped him set it up. I suggest breeding your own small animals, using racks like Link. We use those for breeding mice and rats, as well as hamsters. Obviously have separate display tanks in the store. The racks should be located in the back. If demand is great, you could eventually do this with your reptiles too.

Before you open, cruise some reptile shows, and ask dealers about wholesale options. Youíll also need to get a large enough space to house any animals if they donít sell. A good gimmick is to have a in store "pet" thatís different. We have an iguana who has a window display, and a dart frog viv near the fish tanks, along with several set up fish tanks.

I suggest not going with anything Wild caught, or too exotic [burmese pythons, etc] Supply the right items for beginner reptiles [anoles, corn snakes, pacman frogs, whiteís, etc] Offer services like Viv construction, fish tank setup, seminars, and even petsitting with reptiles [this is a big hit with us right now, and we just opened!]

Check local laws pertaining to petstores. What ever you do, donít sell puppies or kittens. That will kill your reputation in less than a second. Make supplies your biggest sellers. Pair up with all sorts of rescue groups. We currently have five groups cycling through every Sat and Sun. A small animal, dogs, cats, and a reptile group. We also have a specialty greyhound rescue group come through. Adoption days are big hits. Itís win-win. A pet finds a home, and people buy supplies from you!

Also, find products you like, and look for their websites for wholesaling information.

Anything else? Ask, lol. I know my ditzy self is forgetting something.

07/26/07  10:53pm

Bumpkin
View Profile

Message To: X_xbirdie   In reference to Message Id: 1376420

Thanks for the info. Those all sound like great ideas. Unfortionatly someone else has already jumped on the chance to open a new pet store so thereís no way weíre gonna be able to convince my parent-in-laws to invest the money.
And one more thing- what is petsitting with reptiles?
Thanks for ur help though; my husband and i have decided that we will open a pet store- one day. So your advise will be useful. Thanks

07/29/07  08:37pm

X_xbirdie
View Profile

Message To: Bumpkin   In reference to Message Id: 1379733

Petsitting with reptiles is where a customer goes away. We have a take in option, where the customer can bring their reptiles to the store to be watched while theyíre away. Or, we also offer an inhome service, for larger or more delicate reptiles.

07/30/07  11:16am

Bumpkin
View Profile

Message To: X_xbirdie   In reference to Message Id: 1380430

oh, thats cool. thanks

07/31/07  08:28pm

Back to *General-Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area