Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Aquatic_Land Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Aquatic_Land Forum

RePtIcMoNiTeR   Sh0e   RePtIcMoNiTeR   Sh0e   RePtIcMoNiTeR   Sh0e   Sh0e   RePtIcMoNiTeR   LupusBeau  
 Member  Message

RePtIcMoNiTeR
View Profile

Rainforest water vivarium help

Ok i have a large 7x1.5.2 ft aquarium with 1/3 of it able to hold about 8 inches of water and has a waterfall im thinking of maybe getting a mister if need be, what type of semi aquatic/land reptiles and amphibians can i put in here, the possibility is endless but i just want to know what species can exist with each other and how many per group peacefully, its very large so i know space is not a problem

08/04/09  09:39pm

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: RePtIcMoNiTeR   In reference to Message Id: 2051097

In the wild species exhist together. They fight for space and food. They eat each other, they pass illnesses on to each other and parasites. Now think of all the difficulties they have in the wild and then reduce the area they can roam around to your enclosure size.

Science, crazy new thing I know right?

Bottom line is mixing isn’t something that people with herp experience are going to help you out with. It’s something that people without experience often try at the cost of their animal’s life spans. I can’t give you any advice besides this.

Pick a cool species, get some sick plants, and go nuts. I’d suggest Vitamese Mossy Frogs an aquatic tree frog.

08/05/09  10:25pm

RePtIcMoNiTeR
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2051758

I know certain species cant mix together i was kind of aiming at can differant types of frogs be together without probem, or can differant kinds of skinks stay together without problems, or differant kinds of anoles and such and such, not mixing anoles with frogs, or turtles with water dragons or anything like that lol i was kind of hoping to hear abouta large variety and variations of the same lizard i guess species was the wrong term sorry. I know mixing differant kinds of reptiles is a bad thing,I just have a very large aquarium and was wondering what small species could thrive in it, i was also wondering about letting crickets breed freely in there? would it happen/work? i was thinking maybe just throwing like 5-6 dozen i nthere and just let them go nuts, theres going to be a filtered waterfall/pool and dirt with some live plants in it so i dont see why it wouldnt besides being eaten too quickly, does anybody think this could work?

08/06/09  09:25am

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: RePtIcMoNiTeR   In reference to Message Id: 2051913

Still can’t help you. I’m sure the people on the skink, anole, and turtle forums are telling you something similar:

Sometimes, when people set up a terrarium they wish to create a "mini ecosystem" and add a mix of species that will cohabitate in the terrarium. While in theory this sounds like a good idea, it is a situation fraught with difficulties and can only be achieved with a great deal of research and work. For the average keeper of reptiles and amphibians, it is not something I would recommend. Here is why:
Different species have different requirements, even if the differences seem quite minor especially for species from similar climates. However, in the wild each species occupies a unique niche even within the same general climate, where temperature, light, humidity vary depending on the specific habitat of each species (e.g. tree vs ground dwelling, terrestrial vs. aquatic). In an unnatural situation (the terrarium), it is hard to provide an environment that closely duplicates the natural environment needed to keep single species healthy and stress-free. Providing natural conditions for multiple species is extrememly complicated.
Terrariums for mixed species generally need to be much larger than those for a single species, and are more difficult to maintain. Extra room is needed to provide the proper environmental conditions and furnishings for each species, as well as allowing each species their own space to hunt and interact somewhat naturally. Crowding different species together in a small tank can be a recipe for disaster.
Carnivorous critters are usually not picky eaters, and will try to eat smaller cagemates of any species. This applies to animals (lizards, frogs, salamanders) that are largely insectivorous; most of these will not hesitate to hunt other small critters given the opportunity especially if confined in a tank with them. Also consider the stress you place on an animal, confining it in close quarters with a potential predator.
Toxicity may be an issue with some frogs, salamanders, and newts. Many secrete mild skin toxins. These toxins may not be dangerous to humans, but they can accumulate in a tank and cause problems if absorbed through the skin of other tank inhabitants or if a cagemate tries to eat a toxic amphibian.
Animals may become stressed by behaviors and displays that are unexpected and that they do no know how to intrpret. Between species that do not normally coexist, normal behaviors and benign displays may be misinterpreted, and this may lead to fighting or stress.
Animals from different areas or habitats have differing immunities to parasites and infectious diseases. Therefore, one species may harbour a bug that it can carry with no ill-effects. However, if that bug (be it a parasite, virus or bacteria) is introduced to a species with no natural immunity, the result can be devastating.
I know there are people out there that have mixed tanks that seem to do just fine, but my recommendation is to stick to one species per tank. The results of mixing species of reptile and amphibian in a terrarium are unpredictable, especially for less experienced keepers. Providing the proper environment and alleviating stress are too important to the health and well-being of reptiles and amphibians to take chances with mixing species.

No expert in any of those species you’re asking about is going to help you out. What experience do you have with any of these animals? Keeping some of these are difficult in species only tanks, the risks mutiply 100 fold with what you’re suggesting. This is science, animals can adapt but only to an extent. You need to get yourself a least a few years of experience with mid-to-advanced level animals before you even consider trying this. And then once you have the experience you might realize how foolish the idea is.

I will give you a 2 points of advice so I’m not just preaching. Make sure you get animals that habitate the same part of the world and live in similar biomes. Then pick animals that habitate different levels of the canopy, but in a tank that’s not 20-40 feet high you really can only go with aboreal and ground dwelling...

08/06/09  11:55pm

RePtIcMoNiTeR
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2052434

im not trying to mix species!!! I believe i said what kind of species has a wide range of versions/morphs, such as brown anole, green anole, or differant kinds of skinks im looking for something similiar to those, im not trying to put frogs with skinks, or bearded dragons with anoles...... and i have enough experience with lizards to know what im doing

08/07/09  06:42am

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: RePtIcMoNiTeR   In reference to Message Id: 2052496

Sorry bro, that’s not what you said:

Quote:

i was kind of aiming at can differant types of frogs be together without probem,

To me that sounds like you’re wondering what different "types" or species can be housed together.

Not too many different frog morphs out there. Red eyed tree frogs have an albino strain and xantic. There are a few different variations of pattern and color in some darts like the tincs and terriblis. White’s tree frogs have a blue phase that is fairly rare. If you have such a large enclosure you could get a robust gecko. Leachies get the size of your arm and are related to cresties. Some of the giant day geckos are really beautiful too. If you have the money seach high and low for some naultinus geckos. There are many cool frogs, but there’s not much genetic variation between species. I’m sorry if I jumped on you or if English isn’t your native language and it was just a misunderstanding. You have no idea how many people come to me expecting help on mixing things like turtles and frogs, lizards and toads, pandas and polar bears... Okay, not that last one but you get the picture.

08/07/09  06:57am

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2052502

Check out the crested geckos too. They are aboreal and not too big, but they come in as many patterns as there are stars. They are fairly tame and docile, though once they lose their tails they lose them for good. They are easy to breed, the eggs incubate well around 70 degrees, though like most lizards they will eat their young if they find them. They will however eat fruit and a mix diet happily. I wouldn’t do crix, but I would suggest a roach colony. However I wouldn’t suggest it in your tank. I had a few lobsters get loose in my nile monitor’s tank. Months down the road I had to rip it apart, they over ran everything. If you want to colonize an insect in there go for an isopod. Pill bugs, rolly pollys, sow bugs, whatever you want to call those little crustaceans, they make great tank additions and will help break down decaying material. It’s like having your own janitorial staff in your tank.

If there is more surface area than height I would check out terriblis dart frogs, they come in mint, orange, and yellows and get fairly larg for a dart; big enough to handle large crickets. If you have a tall tank then try some red eyed tree frog morphs, or a rach species like cresties, gargoyles, or leachies. I used to have orange, red, brown, striped, pinstriped, and dalmation cresties. Gargoyles I had red striped, gray striped, orange spot morphs. I only had one big male leachie, but he was really cool. Do a google search on any of those, fine a good breeder and look at their projects. If you want help looking for any of the frogs I can put you in contact with people. If you are looking for cresties the only guy I’m friends with who’s working with them is doing the bright red morph. I sold off my collection a few years ago.

08/07/09  07:10am

RePtIcMoNiTeR
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2052505

ok thanks ill check out the cresties and the leachie sounds pretty cool too

08/07/09  06:15pm

LupusBeau
View Profile

Message To: RePtIcMoNiTeR   In reference to Message Id: 2052813

what about dart frogs? those come in MANY different color variates.

02/17/10  03:58pm

Back to *General-Aquatic_Land Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area