Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to *General-Aquatic_Land Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

*General-Aquatic_Land Forum

Froggyfeet   Stina   Froggyfeet   Stina   Clawedfrogsrule   SlipKnot4ever   Angelkitty   Jessican3267   Joe smoe111  
 Member  Message

Froggyfeet
View Profile

When to stop?!?

Ok this may be somewhat off topic for you guys and btw I am new to this particular forum. I didnt know where to go!

My topic is....how do you know when enough is enough (pets that is) ? I want either a bearded dragon or a water dragon but I dont know if I can handle taking care of any more pets by myself! I have a cat, who my grandmother helps me with, but everyone else is all my responsibility. Tell me if you think this is a lot, or if I should stop. I also have: a guinea pig , two red eyed tree frogs, a turtle, 3 bettas, and two african dwarf frogs. The only ones who really need handling & attention are the guinea pig and cat, and i feel bad if i dont take the turtle out every now and again (i feed in him a seperatee container anyway) Anyway I’m rambling I just dont know what to do. At the most I want one more pet. Maybe two. But I dont know if I can even handle one! Maybe I’m obsessive compulsive or something. People help me out.

08/01/08  05:52pm

Stina
View Profile

Message To: Froggyfeet   In reference to Message Id: 1816263

When to stop?!?

I seem to have the same problem! LOL. I have 6 birds (including 1 rooster) 5 snakes 3 lizards, 4 horses, 1 cat, 2 dogs, a skunk and 3 rats. I am lucky that my husband helps me with them but I think I’m at my limit. It just depends. Do you have the time, the room and the money to PROPERLY provide for all your pets. If you do, then why not? If not, then you have enough.
I understand wanting to get yet another. I have a hard time saying NO. I have people every day offer my random pets. I’ve had to learn to say no and it’s REALLY hard!

08/01/08  10:16pm

Froggyfeet
View Profile

Message To: Stina   In reference to Message Id: 1816569

When to stop?!?

People have told me getting tattoos is addicting. I guess its something like that. Once you get one you cant stop there because it becomes a big part of you and your life. Especially if you like to take care of things, with pets that only makes it worse. Maybe I need a few plants

08/02/08  05:05am

Stina
View Profile

Message To: Froggyfeet   In reference to Message Id: 1816790

When to stop?!?

LOL...yeah, I tried plants. I have managed to kill every one accept my grandmothers Aloe plant. Luckily I have better luck with the pets.

08/02/08  09:03pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Stina   In reference to Message Id: 1817483

When to stop?!?

With me I just have to sit down and think about how much I’d actually want to deal with cleaning up and caring for another animal. I went to a store and saw a frog, and I wanted it so badly. I went home and thought about it, and didn’t even feel like setting up the tank for it, so I knew that I wouldn’t feel like cleaning another tank, buying more food and accessories, etc. Plus money is always an issue, you can have all the love in the world, but that won’t provide for a new pet.

Plants are good though, try a bonsai tree (they have kits where you can grow your own from seeds which is pretty cool), or a carnivorous plant like venus fly trap or pitcher plant, those are awesome plants and I loved mine while they lasted.

08/03/08  04:16pm

SlipKnot4ever
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1818335

When to stop?!?

i have 2 lizards, 2 snakes, a turtle, 2 dogs, like 100 fish, and 50 texas toad tadpoles. and i’m not anywhere close to being done. enoughs enough when you run out of space, time, and money.

08/03/08  07:28pm

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: SlipKnot4ever   In reference to Message Id: 1818611

When to stop?!?

Well I have 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 bearded dragon (for now-getting an adult this week), 2 mississppi map turtles, 5 fire belly toads, 1 paddle tail newt, 1 betta, 9 freshwater clams, 3 apple snails, an algae eater, a bunch of ghost shrimp, a bunch of guppies, and of course crickets galore! I stop when hubby tells me to stop . I figure as long as you can financially care for them as well as emotionally and physically (cleaning cages, etc) then you are good. It becomes a problem when cages are left dirty, animals are neglected, no money for food, no time to interact with them, etc. I love animals and if it were up to me I’d have a zoo in my house but thankfully hubby steps in!!!
Angel

08/18/08  01:10pm

Jessican3267
View Profile

Message To: Froggyfeet   In reference to Message Id: 1816263

When to stop?!?

I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, a green iguana, a rabbit, a hamster, a corn snake, a ball python, an oscar, and a gourami. As long as you have the time, space, and money to properly care for all of your animals then get more if you like. Ever since I was a child I have always brought home all sorts of animals. I just can’t help it. My family thinks I have enough already. LOL.

10/26/08  12:41am

Joe smoe111
View Profile

Message To: Jessican3267   In reference to Message Id: 1887791

When to stop?!?

i have 1 leopard gecko (sitting on my shoulder whatching the computer at the moment lol) 1 fire bellied toad 1 moorish gecko and 1 fat old tabby cat.

i think ill stop after i get 2 or 3 more female leos and just start breeding them before i get any more other animals.

11/15/08  05:13pm

Back to *General-Aquatic_Land Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area